Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:51 PM   #1

Default The Highest Waterfall

There is much discussion/debate about which is the highest waterfall here in the Eastern United States. And there are a number of good candidates. Depending on how you define "waterfall," and how you measure it, Buckeye Falls just might be the highest!

It's definitely NOT the most beautiful nor the most powerful. And it certainly is not the most accessible. But at approximately 700 feet high, it is certainly one of the most impressive.

Buckeye Falls is usually no more than a trickle down the incredibly high cliff. And there's no trail to it. It's in the midst of Sampson Mountain Wilderness area, up in the Clark's Creek area. Have only been to the falls once before, in January of 2009. Since we've had such a wet summer, it seemed like a good time to return, and see how it looks when it's not frozen.

Here's a photo from our first trip - taken with my old Canon Powershot...
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:53 PM   #2

Was not able to take many photos on this return trip. Most of the hike is either wading knee-deep in the creek, or crawling over and under Rhododendron thickets. But here's a view of the creek in one of the rare clearings a mile or so below the falls.
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:54 PM   #3

And a peek at one of the many "mini-falls" along the way...
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:55 PM   #4

My memory of the trip was a little foggy after more than 4 years (have been down a few 100 trails since then!) Were it not for a good map, a compass, and a GPS unit, we would never have gotten even close to the falls!
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:56 PM   #5

We passed many interesting geologic formations along the way. Again, this was the only one with a clear enough space to allow a quick snapshot...
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:59 PM   #6

Yes, we did make it to the falls. Could not find a "perch" from which to photograph ALL of the falls, so here are a few views of some "bits and pieces." Not a lot of flow even in this very wet year...
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:02 PM   #7

There is a spot up on Chigger Ridge, near the edge between Sampson Mountain and Rocky Fork, where (I've been told) you can get a clear view of the entire falls. I have not yet found the route to that spot, but hope to someday...

Hike was only about 7 or 8 miles, but took all day! Wish I could have taken more photos, but there were only a few spots where it was safe to have the camera out. Hope you enjoyed these few glimpses, and that they will tempt you to go out and enjoy your nearby wild places!!
Attached Images

Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:12 AM   #8

You saved the best for last again, wonderful, wonderful series.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:17 AM   #9

Very nice series Mole, it's your shots that have me trying more scenery shots. Once again you do wonders with water.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:01 PM   #10

Thank you for yet another wonderful series Mole. It is especially refreshing to view your photos after a long day of inspecting industrial facilities. I should have more chances to enjoy the natural setting of northern New England next week.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote