Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:19 AM   #1

Default Really Don't Need Another Science Project

Have been using my Ist DS for (7) years-I own (10) pentax lenses-I mount them on the camera and they work. I know most of you own camera's that have the lens adjustment option-I really don't want to test each lens if I buy the K-5ll. I know there is no answer for this question-just wanted to know how many of you had to go thru this exercise and if it is a common problem.
Thanks
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:22 AM   #2

You really wouldn't have to "go thru the exercise" for every lens. Just any lens that you don't feel is focusing the way you thought it would. Then, test that one.

I did some testing with my K20 on a few of my lenses. I've had my K5 now for coming up on two years and never tested any of the lenses. Could I. Sure. I might even find that some tweaks with the adjustment option might give me better focus. But, I've been pretty happy with everything I get from the K5 with the lenses I have.

I mostly use my Tamron 18-250, Vivitar 105, Zenitar 16, Pentax 18-55 (WR version). Now that I think of it, I should probably test my Pentax 50/1.4 as I'm not always happy with shots I get with it. So, it might need some adjusting.

Anyway, that's my experience. With my K20, they all required major adjusting. Most all the way to +10 and could have actually gone farther if it did.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:41 AM   #3

My Km and Kr only have a global adjustment. On the Km I needed to use debug mode and had to do a major adjustment. The Kr only needed a little tweak. My new K30 has adjustments per lens or global. So far I did a very minor adjustment for several lenses. I find the easiest way was to shoot an image using Live View and compare it to an identical image shot using the finder. LV uses contrast detect AF that measures contrast directly on the image sensor vs Phase Detect that uses sensors near the mirror. I believe CD in LV is more accurate so I adjust the finder AF to match the LV image. It is a lot easier than shooting a focusing chart. I use the in-camera image compare in my Kr as that was eliminated on the K30??? I believe the K5 still has the image compare.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:19 PM   #4

Thanks for answering the question-it's what I expected. I have been shooting Pentax products for (38) years. Mostly 35mm-favorite camera was the Super Program-during that time frame I must have used at least (30) different lenses-Pentax, Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, Rokinon,etc. Every one was manual focus-the only focus adjustment was the lens ring and your eye. If you got a lousy shot it was your fault-you learned quickly because every shot was about $.50. If you took (5) rolls of film on vacation it would cost you about $75.00 for the film & processing. Really would like the advantages of the new camera's-but still not worth the $ and science project.
Thanks
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:36 AM   #5

I have a K100D Super and a K20D, I did have a DS (a great camera which was stolen from my son) and I have often been tempted by the new models. I will stick with what I have however since it still does what I need it to do. The K20 has over 38000 shutter actuations so it will eventually wear out and need replacement, and that is when it will be replaced.

As for the lens adjustments, they are usually not necessary, I adjusted the focus on an FA 35mm f2.0 that was not focussing as it should (backfocussed) however I recently put it back to zero when I found that there was a focus sweet spot that I had not noticed before. So there was no science project, just lots of picture taking.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:13 PM   #6

Don't worry about it and if it does appear with all the lenses you have I guess it would take only a general setting for all. It's not that difficult.
I did try focus adjustments but never saw any difference in the real world.

Cheers

Ronny
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:08 PM   #7

Just to add my 2 cents - although the K20D does allow individual lens adjustments, I have never used this option. I have far too many lenses (better not stop to count - my wife might read this ) but each seems sharp enough to me without any adjustments.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:13 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply Mole-I thought you had the K20-I have one also-still in the box-about (3) yrs old with less than 500 shots on it. Will try it when I get back to Arizona again-I am in NH for a little while longer while my wife goes thru breast cancer radiation therapy. They caught it early so she has a good prognosis-no chemo thank god. Getting old isn't for wusses.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:26 PM   #9

Will be praying for your wife's quick and complete recovery.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:05 PM   #10

I'm sorry to hear your wife is dealing with that, and you are right about getting older being harder than the young could imagine (I sure took my natural good health for granted when I was 30).

I have one lens (12-24) that I've had to adjust on every camera I've owned, so I automatically played with it when I got the K5. I'm not convinced that shooting focus charts right off is a good idea, every time I do I think the results are inconclusive. I just shoot real-world stuff for a while and then get the focus chart out if I have a high number of oof shots.

My K5 had to have several lenses adjusted, more than I had bothered with either the K7 or the K20 I used to own (Ira - over 38,000 on the shutter?! You've been busy! And I'm delighted that it's still going strong for you). The interesting thing is that I sent it in to have the lens release button replaced and to have the extended warranty cleaning/servicing done. When I got it back I went to adjust the couple of lenses I had changed the settings for and found that they no longer needed any, including the 12-24.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote