Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:11 PM   #1

Default Old Big Lens out for a short trip

Ever since I got the Tokina 400, it seems the good old SMC 135-600 has stayed in the case more than out in the field. SMC is sharper and has better colors, but so much heavier! Really not suitable for long days out on the trail.

But I finally had a chance to take the big lens out for a short trip recently...

(PS - just in case you've never seen this little lens, here are some snapshots - taken with a Canon P&S)
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:14 PM   #2

Had some work to do on a short (less than 2 miles), easy, level trail close to the home park's lake. Trail tools all fit in the knapsack easily, so could take the long lens along this time.

Been so long since I used this one - needed an easy subject for a "warm up." So here are some very cooperative Black Vultures, not at all bothered by the huge chunk of glass pointed at them.
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:16 PM   #3

The main "quarry" this day (besides accomplishing some needed trail maintenance) were some Black Crowned Night Herons. These are commonest here in East Tennessee in the summertime, but never very common, and always VERY shy. So it took some careful stalking, and some hiding in the shoreline vegetation, to get within shooting distance of one.
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:18 PM   #4

It was interesting to see how the changing light changed the mood of basically the same bird pose...
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:21 PM   #5

That's all I had time for - trail needed more attention. But hope you enjoyed some new snapshots with a very old lens (last manufactured in 1989)! Thanks in advance for any comments & critique...
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:46 PM   #6

Great set. That is a serious beast! My Vivitar 120-600 looks tiny compared to it. Even my 200-500/5.6 adaptall would look small though I imagine it weighs about the same. Only used wither of them in the field a handful of times. Like you say, too much to haul with you most of the time. Besides, my 400/4 adaptall with a 1.5x TC will give me a faster, sharper and lighter 600mm.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:55 AM   #7

Wow that's more lens than I want to carry, you did a great job with it, that lens provides a nice creamy background and is quite sharp. Nice compositions on the Night Heron.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:00 AM   #8

On scary great working old lens, especially scary because I would try to carry that around.

ps great results to

Ronny
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:25 PM   #9

John - There sure are some big old lenses out there - sounds like you have several of them. Would enjoy seeing some of your photos with each of them!

Hans - Thanks. It is a great "little" lens, just wish I had more opportunities to use it...

Ronny - Really not too bad to carry for a few miles, as long as trail conditions are not too slippery...
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
John - There sure are some big old lenses out there - sounds like you have several of them. Would enjoy seeing some of your photos with each of them!

Hans - Thanks. It is a great "little" lens, just wish I had more opportunities to use it...

Ronny - Really not too bad to carry for a few miles, as long as trail conditions are not too slippery...
I admit to having a soft spot for big old glass as long as it is sharp, which is not to say that if someone were to give me say a Sigma 500/4.5 it wouldn't become my lens of choice. But necessity is the mother of invention as they say so the old glass it is. I will see what I have ready to post from them, I know I have posted a few with the Vivitar.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote