Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:27 PM   #1

Default Pentax K-3 has been announced !!!!

The new K-3 has been announced. ASP-C, 24.something MP, 200,000 shutter rating....lot's more.

Looks good, really...good !
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:17 PM   #2

Looks really good except for the price-hopefully it will drop down the K5 II soon-might be tempted.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:27 PM   #3

Although I don't have a Pentax cam (Oly E/Zukio shooter here) I think Pentax have put together a cracking camera and hopefully even better than the K5. Personally, it looks like what I was hoping the rumoured E-7 would have been. The spec's look spot on and so is the size and weight although the K3 is now a tad lighter than an E3.

Been thinking about picking up a K5M2 recently + a nice prime for street shooting but I may hold off a wee bit and see how things pan out with the K3. If the AF and esp the CAF is improved I'll be taking a serious look at one. May still get a K5Mk2 if the price drops any further, its already a steal at its current 650 price point.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:28 PM   #4

Hi Les,

I'm actually interested in this new body. I know. . . I was pretty much against more MP when I decided to get the K-5IIs, but at the time, the existing 24MP sensors were trading off more resolution for too much noise from what I'd seen.

I'll still wait to see what the K-3 brings for high ISO, but potentially the improvements in AF sensor (27 AF points -- so smaller more discreet AF sensor areas) and speed (including a much larger buffer -- 8 FPS for 23 RAW/60 Jpg -- I don't burst much, but the faster burst capability means even less VF blackout time per shot, and the larger buffer should allow faster response in general), the multiple region WB capability, among other features might be enough to make the trade off worthwhile for me, even if I lose up to a stop of High ISO performance.

The price will also be a factor -- at $1299 for the body, it's the same price as the K-5IIs was at introduction, and the potential improvements in hardware and features make this very appealing. I won't be pre-ordering, but it will be interesting to see if there are any Black Friday deals in the offing right after Thanksgiving.

On paper, this looks to be a very significant upgrade for my purposes.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:58 PM   #5

Some official samples from the K3

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-3/ex/

Haven't checked them out but the portrait shots are the ones that I'm really interested in.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:28 PM   #6

I said back when the K7 was the current Pentax camera that I didn't want more MP than 14 - was disappointed with the noise with the K7. Then the K5 came out and I decided that more mp didn't necessarily mean more noise and less dynamic range. I'm not real thrilled about the idea of more MP and larger files, but since I like macro so much, it would be nice to be able to crop more. So I'm really on the fence this time. I sure don't need a new camera, and I've been having a blast playing with the Q, but recently I was shooting surfers with the K5 and that was fun too. I'm not real happy with the idea of the extra weight, but it isn't a huge amount more. The better AF would be really nice. I'm not going to buy a camera based on the video capability - I bought the K7 because I thought it would be fun to play with video. I tried it a couple of times and decided that wasn't for me.

I must say the sample pictures are quite something - the amount of detail is awesome. I sure would like to see that. Hmmm, I am NOT going to buy one right away, but I'm going to think about it. But then, I'm also thinking of the Q7, too, and I can only afford one new camera. Maybe after the first of the year.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:12 PM   #7

Even I am interested in this one (remember I am Mr. Second-hand). I think I will see if I can get the money together by next June. I would love a silver model but I doubt of any of the 2000 will still be available by then.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Les,

I'm actually interested in this new body. I know. . . I was pretty much against more MP when I decided to get the K-5IIs, but at the time, the existing 24MP sensors were trading off more resolution for too much noise from what I'd seen.

I'll still wait to see what the K-3 brings for high ISO, but potentially the improvements in AF sensor (27 AF points -- so smaller more discreet AF sensor areas) and speed (including a much larger buffer -- 8 FPS for 23 RAW/60 Jpg -- I don't burst much, but the faster burst capability means even less VF blackout time per shot, and the larger buffer should allow faster response in general), the multiple region WB capability, among other features might be enough to make the trade off worthwhile for me, even if I lose up to a stop of High ISO performance.

The price will also be a factor -- at $1299 for the body, it's the same price as the K-5IIs was at introduction, and the potential improvements in hardware and features make this very appealing. I won't be pre-ordering, but it will be interesting to see if there are any Black Friday deals in the offing right after Thanksgiving.

On paper, this looks to be a very significant upgrade for my purposes.

Scott

Scott,

I'm very impressed with the specs of this camera. I have a K10D, K-m and K-5. All work well (touch wood) so I'm not in the market for another camera body.

But who knows .....maybe in a year or two.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:16 PM   #9

Looks like a great camera.

But my K20D is still going strong, and besides, it's paid for!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:47 PM   #10

Until such time as I need or can afford the K-3 I can always put some black tape over the '0' on my K-30 and pretend . There has been a lot of excitement over this latest model and I think there are some non Pentax users who might be thinking about giving Pentax serious consideration.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote