Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:20 PM   #1

Default Scouting for Spreadwings

Had a chance to take a quick hike at Rocky Fork Wilderness with our State Biologist (recently retired). He was in search of a rare species of Damselfly - the Spotted Spreadwing. I was glad for an "excuse" for another hike in my favorite wilderness area.

Did not pause for many photos, as time was short and we had a specific (3 miles away) destination. But had to pause briefly to snap this Eastern Comma - illustrates well that these butterflies are active well into the autumn, and that Sourwood trees are at their peak of color.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:22 PM   #2

Destination was a marshy area on the far end of Birchcamp Lake - a small, high elevation lake in the midst of the wilderness area. Here's one of my favorite tiny waterfalls along Birchcamp Prong - the stream that flows out of Birchcamp Lake. Stream was rather low - we've had a rather dry month after a very wet summer.
Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:24 PM   #3

We saw LOTS of Black Bear sign (tracks, droppings, torn logs, etc.) but no bears. But we did see plenty of tiny frogs - recently out of their tadpole stage. Here's a rather green Grey Treefrog hunkered down on a magnolia leaf.
Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:26 PM   #4

And a miniscule frog, soaking up the bright afternoon sun at the edge of the marshy area. I'm pretty sure this is a Pickerel Frog, although Leopard Frogs tend to have rounder spots. But when they are this tiny, they're hard to tell apart...
Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:29 PM   #5

We noticed a very late-blooming orchid at the lakeshore - it's one of the Spiranthes ("Lady's Tresses") orchids. Probably Spiranthes ovalis ("October Lady's Tresses), but I'm not sure...
Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:30 PM   #6

As we approached the marshy area, we noticed a pair of Great Spreadwings in the reeds. Not the species we were seeking, but it was nice of them to pose for us!
Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:32 PM   #7

And then we found the "elusive quarry." At least one male and one female (probably more than one) Spotted Spreadwings. They were very shy, but I did manage to get a few (rather bad) photos. Here's the best one - a view of the male showing the diagnostic two spots under the thorax.
Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:35 PM   #8

A bit muddy, but pleased with the results of the "expedition," we got back with a bit of daylight left. Hope you enjoyed the brief glimpses, and that they will tempt you to go on your own autumnal expeditions!

Thanks for any comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:59 AM   #9

Very nice Mole, I like the waterfall and the last shot best, Love the clouds when they are lit from below.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:15 PM   #10

Last Shot is simply gorgeous! What lens are you using for the closeups? Those are very clean shots!
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote