Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:27 PM   #11

Impressive sample photos. D/D - were these taken with the Sigma 500? That looks like an excellent combination.

Dave - what lens did you use? I'm wondering if anyone is finding one of their lenses doesn't really play right - reason why I'm asking is that I always thought my DA 55-300 lens, which worked very well on my K7 (which I just sold), didn't look very good on the K5. I wonder if it would be better or worse on a K3?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:18 AM   #12

mtngal I used my Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 lens which has worked well on my K-5, K-5ii and looks good on my K-3; but the Tamorn 28-75mm I got for the K-5 (and was ok not perfect but ok) was awful on the K-5ii and has since been sold and replaced with the 17-70. I also tested my Sigma 18-250mm which has worked well on my K-5 and K5ii and it works well on the k-3. In fact both lenses focus faster on the K-3 than the K-5ii

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Here is a sample from my K-3. Images was slightly cropped but no other changes. Also heavier compressed and scaled down to get it under the max file size for posting (hopping it doesn't look to bad as it looks great on my 15.6 toshiba laptop screen)

[Shot in RAW, saved as jpg, P mode -1/3 exposure]

dave
Obviously I'm a novice but the thing that strikes me on that pic is how black the black is (hope that doesn't sound stupid)
The eagle pics are fantastic too
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:11 PM   #14

Just a few on my K-3 after shooting 800 images I have been very impressed with the camera. I have only had 4 total images that were not tack sharp at 100%, 2 of them looked great on a 15.6" laptop screen without enlarged and the other two were completely out of focus, focus on wrong part of image and through it all out of wack. Which is better than the K-5 and k-5ii. Focus is quick to lock, no hunting or delay so far using half press of shutter button before shooting. Have yet to do any action-sports so no word on how AF and burst mode are. Just shot a husband and wife and female model photo sessions and an ambulance dedication ceremony so far.

The battery using one of the ones from my k-5/k-5ii does NOT last as long as in the K-5ii but battery life is still not bad. I think I got 625 shots but I forgot to keep track Only changed the battery once so far and the second battery has 3/4 showing left. I would have a spare on you if you plan to shoot a lot.

The file sizes are bigger so the use of 32GB cards is recommended if you shoot RAW and 16GB or larger for jpgs. Also did a quick test with a Sandisc 45mb/ 32GB SDHC and a Transcend 32GB Class 10 card and for single shoots in RAW I did not notice any difference in speed shot to shot, I am sure I will in burst mode. However I then used a 4GB class 4 card I had lying around and their was a 1 to 2 second burp if you would call it that with shot to shot in RAW. So use a class 10 or one of the 30mb/s, 45mb/s or 90mb/s cards fr best results.

Camera to me doesn't seem overweight (but it is heavier according to the specs than the K-5ii) and the grip makes holding with one hand very easy. On a blackrapid strap across my chest the camera has a good center of gravity.

So far the upgrade from K-5ii seems very well worth it to me. Feels like I have gone from a mid range D-SLR AKA 60D or 70D in Canon terms and now using a pro camera now (AKA Canon 7D or 1D Mark IV). The k-3 diffidently appears to be Pentax's top of the line non FF camera and that they wanted people to feel that it is. Even without testing burst mode I feel the upgrade and price are worth it to me so far.

Edited Added: The burst mode works well. I gave it a test and you do get 23 RAW images before the buffer stops to process the images and shortly after you can shoot 1 frame a second but if ou want to get back to fast burst do NOT shot any images and let the buffer clear out at least half the images first. What is very interesting is when you shot a burst of images and try to preview the last image on screen it shows you the last 15 to 20 images as they get pulled on to the memory card from buffer which is a cool way to preview the images. Moving to 14MP does not change the number of RAW images as the only option for shooting in 14MP is jpg, RAW images are RAW images at one setting and seems to always shoot at full 24MP. Moving to 14MP will get you more jpgs in a burst, so if you do sports and need a long burst go with 14MP setting and you can shoot a long! burst with no issues.

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Nov 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote