Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:04 AM   #1

Default Pentax K3 indepth review @ Pentaxfrums

Full review of the K3 over at Pentax forums:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/...roduction.html

I'm still going through it and went to the AF section which is what interests me atm. The AF's improved over the K5Mk2 but not by a big margin and its still lagging behind Nikon's.

Its a good review from what Ive read so far .. balanced esp on the AF section that I've read and I'm glad that they did a comparison between the K3/K5Mk2/D610 altough I dont have a clue on the Pnetax lens line up and how they compare to say Canikon/Oly.

High ISO comparison to the K5Mk2

"What is immediately visible is the difference in white balance. The K-3 is the more accurate of the two. But what this test really is about is high ISO noise. One might expect that the K-5 IIs would produce the less noisy images due to the larger pixels, but that is not so in the final images. The differences are minor, but at ISO 6400 the K-3 comes out the slightly better. In other words, with the K-3 we get a sensor with 50% more pixels without making any sacrifices of practical significance to everyday users."

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Nov 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM. Reason: Added summary of High ISO comparison
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:38 PM   #2

The AF between my K-5 classic and the K-3 is substantial..
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:14 AM   #3

Does anyone who has a K-3 know if you reduce the MP setting from 24MP to 14MP if you get more jpeg and RAW images before the buffer fills?
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post

I'm still going through it and went to the AF section which is what interests me atm. The AF's improved over the K5Mk2 but not by a big margin and its still lagging behind Nikon's.

Its a good review from what Ive read so far .. balanced esp on the AF section that I've read and I'm glad that they did a comparison between the K3/K5Mk2/D610 altough I dont have a clue on the Pnetax lens line up and how they compare to say Canikon/Oly.
Hi Harj,

I take the review's AF tracking as being seriously flawed.

It did use a D610, so not the latest and best of the Nikon AF systems, but with a Nikon 70-200 f2/8. Nikon pro level lenses especially are designed with AF speed high on the priority list. Not so much so with any of the SDM lenses (like the DA* 60-250 f4 used in this comparison), so the lenses, which are a very significant factor in AF performance, are not even close to comparable.

Granted, the f4 max aperture vs the f2.8 for the Nikon somewhat handicapped the test in favor of the Pentax side since the slower wide open aperture yields deeper DOF requiring fewer AF adjustments for a given distance change at a given distance range, but it's hard to say how much this might have evened things out.

He did state that pics were taken from distances ranging from 100 feet to 10 feet away, but not whether there was any effort to control the speed of the cyclist, specific differences in in-focus percentage taking subject distance into account, shooting aperture used, burst rates used, or other factors that might have skewed results. Also, technique can an important factor in AF tracking success. I'm not convinced that the tester(s) have enough experience in this type of shooting to even consider all the factors that might have effected the outcome.

To my mind, the results posted are very suspect, and without more information about how the test was conducted, the results cannot even be analyzed further.

Personally I'd wait to hear more user reports from people who have done a lot more action shooting (like BIF and sports). There are just too many variables to take into account to rely on a short barely documented test that is little more than a sidenote in a review of a new model that has so many major changes from its preceding model.

My 2 worth. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:29 AM   #5

Just got my K-3 yesterday. Will shooting a lot with it today and will let you know how it goes.

So far very easy to set-up all the menus etc.

dave
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:45 AM   #6

Cool! Let us know how it goes with the new camera. So exciting to have a new camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 1:29 PM   #7

The camera is awesome. Focus is fast, did not hunt at all, pushed the shutter half way down an it locked, spot on for all but one out 90 photos I took. The one image looks good on 15.6" laptop at filling the page, but when moved to 100% its a little shaky out of focus. RAW files are between 28.9 and 30.1MB in size. When saved as jpgs in lightroom 4 (90 resolution setting you get files that are around 7.9-8.1MB). Have not used the burst mode yet.

The onlynegative thing so far is when you want to change focus either point(s) or AF-S to AF-C its difficult as you have to hold the AF mode button and then moved one of the when. I wheels to change the settings. I actually had t stop and think it through and look at the camera buttons the two times I did this verse just watching the LCD screen. I am sure as I do this more it will become easier.

dave
Old Nov 16, 2013, 1:43 PM   #8

Here is a sample from my K-3. Images was slightly cropped but no other changes. Also heavier compressed and scaled down to get it under the max file size for posting (hopping it doesn't look to bad as it looks great on my 15.6 toshiba laptop screen)

[Shot in RAW, saved as jpg, P mode -1/3 exposure]

dave
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:36 PM   #9

My first Eagle BIF with the K-3.
I messed up the metering but this was good practice for the the upcoming Eagle season.
Cropped to 5MP..
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:51 PM   #10

Photo 5 - Very nice portrait - illustrates well your talent as well as the strengths of your new camera.

D/D - Amazing demonstration of the focusing ability of your new camera - and great photos as always from you!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote