Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:13 PM   #1

Default Walk Before Work

Yesterday I decided to take a walk before work, to get some practice with taking pictures at dawn/before the sun came up. I had a vague idea of taking pictures of architecture in artificial light and maybe some blue hour light. As I was somewhat vaguely (not quite aimless, but not with any conviction as to where to go) I heard quite a bit of noise. So I went to investigate what could be making that much noise before 6:30 in the morning.

What I found got me to try my hand at a bit of photo-journalism. This is not something I do much and these photos show that. Plus I was using a camera that I've owned for 2 days, I still don't know where all the controls are or how to make the most of its capabilities. It did give me an excuse to shoot with the DA*200, a lens I like very much but don't use all that much and hadn't planned on using).

First, I wasn't the only one checking out the action. It's always fun to turn the tables on the press and take their pictures. I sure wouldn't want to carry this camera!

As you can tell, the sun wasn't exactly out yet (and it was overcast, making it darker than it might have been). I was impressed with the SR on this camera, I had far more keepers with slower shutter speeds than I would have with this lens on any of the other Pentax cameras I've owned. The picture of the cameraman was taken at 1/80 sec.

What had the press out was a labor strike.

It was very well organized (which got me wondering how many of those marching actually worked for the university and how many were union people from elsewhere):

Some people honked as they drove by on their way to work, getting the crowd to cheer. Everyone was well behaved and obeyed all laws (as far as I could tell).

The last one was taken with the FA31. I think that the scene at this size is how I remember it. When I looked at the photo at larger size I noticed the two people standing at an upper window, watching the action. Not sure you can see them this small.

All in all, I was pleased with my photos. The K3 seems to be a very capable camera (though the controls are still intimidating), and while you can't really see it on these resized pictures, there's a nice crispness to the pictures it takes. Plus the DA*200 plays very nicely with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2

Interesting series, thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:16 PM   #3

very good series. Especially of the cameraman.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:19 PM   #4

The k3 does play nice in low light, nicely done

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:41 PM   #5

Thank you! I was surprised that the K3 did as well as it did. The noise is different than with the K5, but it cleans up easily with DeNoise. And the SR is significantly better - previously I couldn't consistently manage to get sharp pictures using the 1/focal length rule for shutter speed. The cameraman was taken at 1/80 sec, and I was shooting the DA*200 f2.8 lens - one of the lighter 200 f2.8 lenses out there, but still significantly heavier than what I've been using recently. I am positive I would have had camera shake if I had been using the K5. Noise was one of my biggest concerns before I got the camera, but it seems quite manageable. I probably won't shoot at 10,000 ISO like I do occasionally with the K5, but 6400 is certainly acceptable with minimal work.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote