Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:49 PM   #1

Default Gunfight in Goldfield AZ

Went to the Goldfield Ghost Town in Apache Jct, Arizona on Saturday. They have "gunfights" on the hour between noon and 4:00 PM. All shot with the Ist DS and DA 16-45 or DA 50-200.
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:20 PM   #2

A wonderful series! Each of the shots offers something different and I love all of them. I couldn't possibly pick a favorite because of that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:35 AM   #3

Very nice series. The Ist DS is nine year old technology proving once again that it's the person behind the camera that makes the difference. Well done.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:54 AM   #4

Thanks for all the kind comments-I'm finding more and more that you have to use the lens that works on the camera. The 16-45 and 50-200 work great on the DS-not good on my K10d-the best lens for my K10 is the 17-70-others are all soft.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:48 AM   #5

Nice shots (no pun intended)...especially # 2. I don't know why your 16-45 doesn't work well on your K10D. I have that lens and camera...both work well together.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:42 PM   #6

All the lenses I own are "soft" on the K10d-that's why it stays @ home. Only the 17-70 is spot on. No idea why
Thanks
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:40 PM   #7

That's interesting. The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and the Sigma 18-125 were soft on my Kx. Both were sent back under warranty for recalibration and came back without change. I had the sneaking suspicion they were a miss fit, but was never sure. Can lenses really just not work on a type of camera? I guess so.

Last edited by pboerger; Dec 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:58 PM   #8

I have (2) of the Ist DS, a K10d and K20d- I believe the lens adjustment started with the K20d-I am almost 67 yrs old and don't need another science project-both the K10d and K20d have less than 1000 shutter activations and aren't used. Not worth selling on the used market so will hang onto them. I have read other complaints about the K10d being very soft-don't think there is anything that can be done.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:19 PM   #9

I have had my K10D since Nov. 2007. It's been a great camera. I have close to about 100,000 shutter actuations on the body. It's had heavy use throughout it's life...hopefully it continues without any difficulty.

I have about 9-10 digital lenses...mostly Pentax...one Sigma. It works well on all these lenses.

I've never heard about the K10D being 'soft' and my copy has never exhibited that characteristic.

Pictures are sharp. In fact, I can't tell which of my cameras ....K-5, K-m, K10D....has taken a particular photo, at the 100-200 ISO settings.

Above 400 ISO....the K-m and K-5 both have it over the K10D...especially the K-5.

But that is just a question of technology improving over the years.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:19 PM   #10

My K10 started off having some minor intermittent AF issues, which gradually got worse over time. The person who had it after me said that he finally gave up on it, letting his son, who shot pretty much always with manual focus lenses, have it. It took me a year to figure out that the problem was the camera and not me and my technique (partly because I used manual focus lenses often and it never occurred to me that the problem as AF). The camera itself was quite sharp, it just couldn't auto focus well.

I think certain cameras have problems with certain lenses. I thought that my DA 55-300 didn't work well with the K5 because the sensor could out-resolve it. So the lens pretty much stayed on the K7 which produced good pictures with it (and Dan really enjoyed having all that zoom range). However, when I used the lens on the K3 I was really impressed with the quality I got from it. Now I have no clue why the K5 doesn't seem to like it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote