Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:31 AM   #1

Default Weekend Shots

My weekend ended up being fun but not productive. I had a list of things I needed to do - take the trash to the dump, get the oil changed in the Prius, shop at Costco, take the netting off of the grape vine, then trim it back. Saturday morning I went out to open the back of the Prius so that I could load the trash in. It looked like this:

That didn't look promising for getting the oil changed. I thought about taking the netting down, but it was just too cold.

What to do - grab the camera and walk around the block, of course. By the time I got to one of my neighbor's house, I decided that conditions were getting a bit difficult. Good thing I had received the 16-50 the night before, it got well-used on its first day in my hands.

Checked the internet and decided that there was no way I was going to get the oil changed in the Prius - the I-5 was closed.

Several hours later my front yard looked like:

As evening came, I looked out the upstairs window and the light was perfect. I took a couple of quick shots through the window then went downstairs to try to catch more outside.

By the time I had suited up the sun had gone, no more wonderful light. But I found something else interesting - my front porch:

Sunday morning found me out with the Viv 105 macro lens on the K3, taking pictures of the netting around the grape vine.

And of the vine itself:

Needless to say, the netting is still around the grape vine and it hasn't been trimmed back. The Prius is still sitting in the driveway (and it's been too cold and cloudy to melt the snow that I haven't shoveled). But I did load the trash into the Wrangler and made it to the dump. At least I managed ONE task!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:14 AM   #2

Wonderful pictures. Love the close ups of the ice, very nice. Do you use the AFA with the Viv 105 much? I have found that macro work is where I use it the most, makes it much easier at times, especially on static subjects and I find it works best with live view.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:34 AM   #3

I use the AFA quite often with the Viv, they go together very well and my eyesight isn't the best any more. These were with the Viv by itself, it was the first time I had tried manual focusing with the K3. I found that the slightly larger viewfinder made more of a difference than I had expected, it is easier to see the focus. Also, I tried one or two shots using live view, and the focus peaking works reasonably well, about the same as with the Q. I haven't been using my old manual lenses in a long time, think I might break them out and use them again.

The K5 used to front-focus with the A300 and the DA200 and AFA, haven't tried them with the K3 yet. Hopefully I'll have a plate by this weekend so I can use the K3 with my macro focusing rails - Acratech makes a generic L bracket I'm thinking about, too.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:16 PM   #4

Wonderful images. I especially love the icicles and the close ups of the grape netting. I do very little close-up photography and I always admire well done close ups.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:24 PM   #5

May not have been "productive" but it looks like you produced some really nice shots, Harriet. We got much of the same here in the Bluegrass.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:51 AM   #6

Thank you both. Glad to hear that Kentucky got their fair share of this cold stuff. It's always fun for us to have it, we're in continuing drought conditions so we don't see enough snow, and it usually melts by the next day (there's very little left, it lasted longer than normal though).

I love macro, though I haven't been doing much of it recently. But I can never resist icicles and ice-covered branches.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:54 PM   #7

Some excellent macro shots. I got to get out with my camera....but lately.... up here...it's been -25 to -30...then wind chill on top of that....

Next week is forecast to warm up a bit.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:49 AM   #8

I'll be able to do more macro now with the K3 - I just bought a camera plate and generic L-bracket, along with a new tripod head (not needed but very, very cool!). So now I'll be able to put the camera on my tripod and use it on the macro rails - that makes macro much easier. Looking forward to trying it out in the next couple of days.

I don't think I'd be out shooting macro for very long if the temps were -25C. I wasn't thrilled about shooting when the temp was -8C, and was very glad that the Wrangler has a good heater when the temp on it said it was 3F (-16C) on my way to work one morning, sure wouldn't have wanted to be outside at all. Made me wonder if I wasn't suddenly transported to your area or something - it shouldn't be that cold in SoCal (though it does that every so often).