Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1

Default Playing in RAW

Still playing with RAW files. I think I've figured out the big part. I just need to fine tune now. Let me know what you think.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:11 PM   #2

Your processing looks perfect to me. I have fumbled around with raw but I haven't devoted the time and effort to fully understand how to do it. Consequently, whenever I process a raw image it comes out no better than if the camera had just spit out a jpeg. I know raw files contain far more data and that it's possible to make much better images from raw, but until I learn how to do it, my processing capabilities are very limited.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Your processing looks perfect to me. I have fumbled around with raw but I haven't devoted the time and effort to fully understand how to do it. Consequently, whenever I process a raw image it comes out no better than if the camera had just spit out a jpeg. I know raw files contain far more data and that it's possible to make much better images from raw, but until I learn how to do it, my processing capabilities are very limited.
I wasn't going to fool with it because the last few times I shot RAW was with bridge cameras. The lag time between shots was painfully slow. It never occurred to me that DSLRs were MUCH faster. Zoner takes the learning curve WAY down when handling RAW files. Yeah, there are other options/programs/software but Zoner does it all for me. No sense jumping around when everything ya need is right there!
My Gallery

--
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:45 PM   #4

I think your processing looks fine. It doesn't matter to me whether I shoot jpg or raw as far as processing goes, since I use Lightroom as my organizer and main processor. When I've shot raw + jpg I've found that there is more information in the raw file, especially dynamic range but often some extra fine detail. Aperture would be equally convenient, I think, though it goes about things in a different way than LR, it ends up more or less at the same place. I'm not familiar with Zoner, but if it works for you as well as this, stay with it!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I think your processing looks fine. It doesn't matter to me whether I shoot jpg or raw as far as processing goes, since I use Lightroom as my organizer and main processor. When I've shot raw + jpg I've found that there is more information in the raw file, especially dynamic range but often some extra fine detail. Aperture would be equally convenient, I think, though it goes about things in a different way than LR, it ends up more or less at the same place. I'm not familiar with Zoner, but if it works for you as well as this, stay with it!
http://www.zoner.com I've been using it for a couple of years now. It's fast, compact, and stable. Almost everything else I've tried (and I've tried a BUNCH) is just too convoluted, bloated, and $$$$$ pricey. These guys even have a free version that's HIGHLY functional. Even Brian Peterson raves about it.
My Gallery

--