Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:16 PM   #1

Default K-3 Counter Issue

Has anyone else had a similar problem/issue.

When I put a 32GB car into the camera (shooting RAW) it tells me I have 595 frames available. But it is very clear that when I fill up an entire 32GB card I get anywhere between 750 and 900 images. Yes it varies that much and even 750 on the low end is much higher than 595. I also noticed that the only time the counter displays the correct frames left is when it says 3, 2 or 1 is left. Even stranger to me is that all the files regardless if I get 750 or 900 are between 29.1 and 30.1GB a piece.

Just to make sure its not a card issue I tested this over the past 10 days with a 16GB and 3 different 32GB cards all with similar results

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:55 PM   #2

I haven't noticed anything like that because I haven't yet had a reason to fill up a memory card (while I did take one mini-vacation since I've had the K3, I didn't take all that many pictures).

I looked at my file size over the past month and my files also run somewhere between 27 and 34, I'm shooting DNG. In looking at them, there's a couple that I manipulated and saved as an intermediate tiff file - those things were absolutely HUGE!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:31 AM   #3

yes a TIFF file will be huge. I did a dance recital for a lady who wanted the highest res files from the event in order to build a poster for her studio and I converted RAW to jpg at 100 in lightroom 4 and those files were 12 to 13MB a piece.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Has anyone else had a similar problem/issue.

When I put a 32GB car into the camera (shooting RAW) it tells me I have 595 frames available. But it is very clear that when I fill up an entire 32GB card I get anywhere between 750 and 900 images. Yes it varies that much and even 750 on the low end is much higher than 595. I also noticed that the only time the counter displays the correct frames left is when it says 3, 2 or 1 is left. Even stranger to me is that all the files regardless if I get 750 or 900 are between 29.1 and 30.1GB a piece.

Just to make sure its not a card issue I tested this over the past 10 days with a 16GB and 3 different 32GB cards all with similar results

dave
Let me know when you're ready to sell that K3, Dave.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:52 PM   #5

For the record the camera is not for sale unless you offer me 20% than I paid for it then we will talk. The camera itself makes very nice images

dave