Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:28 PM   #1

Default Considering another brand to go Full Frame? It doesn't do magic!

I can't even remember the last time I sent a post here; so, first I should salute you dear Pentaxians : ) Just for the sake of cleaner high iso results, broader dynamic range as well as flash consistency for professional use and partly to be able to benefit from the ttl reading off the camera with pocket wizard, I bought a Nikon D600 and then replaced it with Nikon D610 while keeping my trusty K5. Well, my observations so far justified my pursuit 'flashwise'...For the rest, a tiny DR upgrade, a little iso advantage and somewhat a little bit more noticable colours especially at higher iso range at the expense of having to carry heavy lenses such as Nikkor 14-24 compared to lovely Sigma 8-16...There are even times my K5 would give somewhat more faithful colors under mixed lighting! In short, if the off camera ttl reading advantage and miraculous!! flash consistency wasn't of my priority, I would wait for the Pentax K3 with more sophisticated metering than the K5.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
I can't even remember the last time I sent a post here; so, first I should salute you dear Pentaxians : )Nice to see you back posting here. Just for the sake of cleaner high iso results, broader dynamic range as well as flash consistency for professional use and partly to be able to benefit from the ttl reading off the camera with pocket wizard, I bought a Nikon D600 and then replaced it with Nikon D610 while keeping my trusty K5. Why did you get a D610 so soon after your D600 ?

Well, my observations so far justified my pursuit 'flashwise'...For the rest, a tiny DR upgrade, a little iso advantage and somewhat a little bit more noticable colours especially at higher iso range at the expense of having to carry heavy lenses such as Nikkor 14-24 compared to lovely Sigma 8-16...There are even times my K5 would give somewhat more faithful colors under mixed lighting! In short, if the off camera ttl reading advantage and miraculous!! flash consistency wasn't of my priority, I would wait for the Pentax K3 with more sophisticated metering than the K5.
Nikon I have heard is the flash king among DSLR's. I have heard that there isn't significantly better picture quality (say up to 8 X 10, 11 X 14....after that...the bigger sensor may win out) with say a K-5 series, K-3...compared to a full frame. I don't know this for sure, as I have not had enough experience with a full frame to know if this is the case.

Aside from the Pentax bodies....which I like...I have also always been very pleased with the premium Takumar/Pentax lenses and have felt that they have been much under rated over the years.

So aside from the Nikon ttl reading advantage flash consistency....you might of stayed with Pentax ? Would this be a correct assessment ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:36 AM   #3

Hi, Les : ) Well I returned the D600 after two weeks' use due to the 'famous' oil splitting issue. Actually after a few cleaning it didn't go worse but I thought it would be wiser to return the unit especially upon hearing the D610 on the way, so bought the D610 last month. As for other minor improvements, I don't think one should bother selling the D600 for a D610.
I was using Metz 58 AF-1 with my K-5 which was great especially when used in Manual mode; but for fast pacing events, you need sth to keep up with you when you have no time for calculations and '0' tolerance for a miss! That's why I jumped to Nikon; and I should confirm that the performance is amazing with the SB 910 flashgun I currently use.
With pocket wizard transmitters the flash can even read the camera settings wirelessly and act accordingly and you can still fine tune the flash for perfection wirelessly!
BUT...I'm still keeping my K5 and my lenses justifying your abovementioned assessment ''So aside from the Nikon ttl reading advantage flash consistency....you might of stayed with Pentax ? Would this be a correct assessment ?'' : ) Now, to be able to travel with light yet efficient equipment with awesome image quality, I'm in a financial recovery period for the promising K3 with the brand new metering system, as I seem to have exhausted the sensor on my K5 ; )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote