Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:49 PM   #1

Default Battery Question

I know almost all of you have moved on to Pentax bodies that don't use AA for power. I have been using Eneloops for about 4 or 5 years. A few weeks ago I found the original CRV-3 batteries that came with my Ist DS. Installed them just to see if they would work. So far I have taken at least 600 shots and they still seem fine-matter of fact the camera has never worked better. The eneloops are 1.2v each-for a total of 4.8 volts. The two CRV-3's give a total of 6 volts. The eneloop website states that they provide a constant rate of power. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:39 PM   #2

I don't do much shooting with my Ist D anymore, so I leave it with CRV-3s in it and the battery grip, so I don't have to worry about self-discharge, and can just pick it up and use it on occasion. If I were still taking a lot of pictures with it on a daily basis, I would probably go back to rechargeable type.
How old are the Eneloops you are using now? After a few years, regardless of how often or little they have been recharged, they lose capacity and should be replaced.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I don't do much shooting with my Ist D anymore, so I leave it with CRV-3s in it and the battery grip, so I don't have to worry about self-discharge, and can just pick it up and use it on occasion. If I were still taking a lot of pictures with it on a daily basis, I would probably go back to rechargeable type.
How old are the Eneloops you are using now? After a few years, regardless of how often or little they have been recharged, they lose capacity and should be replaced.

brian
They are all at least (3) yrs old with some being older-but they work fine in other applications-like my (2) different flashes. I guess I should have asked if the voltage differential would have any effect on camera performance.
Thanks

Last edited by DMJJR; Dec 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:45 AM   #4

I don't know if they make much difference on camera performance, but I've ended up replacing various rechargeables over the years - they don't last forever. But the only thing I've noticed is that they don't last as long. Recently I bought some AA Lithium Ion (non-rechargeable) accidentally - had meant to order AAA. But now since I have them, I'll try them in the K100 to see if I notice anything different from the Eneloops I've been using.

I do know that batteries seem to last much longer in my flash - I can go months without recharging them where I can't do that with the K100. The flash is definitely not as power-hungry as the camera, and seems less picky about the power.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:41 PM   #5

G'day DMJ

Several things about batteries & devices
Take the humble 6v torch ... it comes with a 4,8v bulb, and when the battery is new the light is super-bright and over time as the voltage falls thru 4,8 down to 3,6, the bulb can accommodate it. Your eyes eventually tell you that it's time for a new battery

The camera is a bit more sophisticated, but the principle is the same
The camera will function quite okay while the voltage is available - and I'm not going to guess what the minimum voltage value might be

Non-rechargeable Lithium batteries are rated with a 8-10 year shelf life. I got some the other day with "2018" and "2020" as their expiry dates. So I would agree that the ones you found in a box 'should' work quite okay as designed

As to Rechargeables - Eneloop of otherwise - as TC says 'yes' they both lose charge over time and they lose efficiency over time. However I use AA rechargeables daily and love 'em

I recently and sadly had to chuck away the very first set of 4-AA rechargeables I got way back in 1986 - these Radio Shack brand batteries of 1300mAh have been used / recharged hundreds of times over the years

I use AAs in torches, tranny radios, flash guns and one of my cameras ~ love'em

I also have a dozen eneloops used in the Pentax [mainly]
Q- are you aware that in the setup menu you can nominate the type & voltage of the AA batteries in use? - maybe you'll also get slightly better results if you reset this option

Hope this is helpful
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day DMJ

Several things about batteries & devices
Take the humble 6v torch ... it comes with a 4,8v bulb, and when the battery is new the light is super-bright and over time as the voltage falls thru 4,8 down to 3,6, the bulb can accommodate it. Your eyes eventually tell you that it's time for a new battery

The camera is a bit more sophisticated, but the principle is the same
The camera will function quite okay while the voltage is available - and I'm not going to guess what the minimum voltage value might be

Non-rechargeable Lithium batteries are rated with a 8-10 year shelf life. I got some the other day with "2018" and "2020" as their expiry dates. So I would agree that the ones you found in a box 'should' work quite okay as designed

As to Rechargeables - Eneloop of otherwise - as TC says 'yes' they both lose charge over time and they lose efficiency over time. However I use AA rechargeables daily and love 'em

I recently and sadly had to chuck away the very first set of 4-AA rechargeables I got way back in 1986 - these Radio Shack brand batteries of 1300mAh have been used / recharged hundreds of times over the years

I use AAs in torches, tranny radios, flash guns and one of my cameras ~ love'em

I also have a dozen eneloops used in the Pentax [mainly]
Q- are you aware that in the setup menu you can nominate the type & voltage of the AA batteries in use? - maybe you'll also get slightly better results if you reset this option

Hope this is helpful
Phil
Thanks-will check that option-hope it is in the Ist DS menu.