Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:53 AM   #11

I believe the K 5 has lens adjustments so you may want to play around with that and see if it will help focus. Could be there is something just a bit off. As for the pictures themselves I can't really add much to what has been said above other than I think what you posted shows some promise. I struggle with composition as well but the advice to go closer is something to really take to heart. Unless your doing landscape work the less is more approach will get you a better result. Objects like a boat etc usually just aren't that interesting but the details can be. Had you focused on just the cleats with the rope on them it would be a much better shot and would grab attention. I really like the idea in #3 but here again i think a longer focal length would have tightened things up and emphasized the vanishing point idea. Not sure what was nehind you when you shot it but one taken from the other end may also have been more interesting as the city scene detracts from the overall pic in my opinion. To sum up, when it comes to composition go closer and try many different angles of the same shot. The pics are free but the knowledge gained by doing so is invaluable.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:13 PM   #12

Myngal , Jellow1966,sumx4182
I'm not sure what you mean about resizing I just chose 1027 pixels as that was the max I could use to post.

I use to shoot without filters on any lens but someone talked me into putting filters on and strongly suggested Tiffen, He shoots Olympus Micro four thirds.

I have other lenses to try. I seem to always have the problem with not so sharp pictures. I assume it is me. I had the same problem with K-x.

Pic #3 if I tried from the other end of the walk I would be looking at a Hotel. Would not of made much differance. Some time I'm focused on what I am about to shoot that I don't see all the distractions in the scene.
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:46 PM   #13

What would you suggest as a test setup to see if I can improve a shot. Being that it is winter and it gets dark by 5:00. Natural light shots are a bit out of the question. I can setup a tripod and try different lenses. But I need a subject that will not move and something with Texture to show detail and sharpness. Wouldn't I?
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:28 PM   #14

When you resize a picture, the program is throwing some information away. Since you use PSE, you have a choice in the way the program handles the conversion. When you go to the resize dialog, look and see if the program says "bicubic" or "bicubic sharper" or "bicubic smoother." I always use bicubic sharper when I resize smaller.

But even so, the program will introduce a bit of softness usually. I prefer to use Topaz Labs Detail plugin for a bit of final sharpening after I resize, but you can do something similar with unsharp mask in PSE. You have to be careful with the USM settings, it's easy to take them too far and get halos.

As far as a setup for testing, I've used a full bookcase or the classifieds taped to a wall (small print, good for looking for decentering, but I don't think that's your problem, the samples posted are consistent side to side). I'm seriously thinking of getting one of those fancy lens testing things, the ones with a target you shoot at that's on one plane and then there's a ruler fixed to the proper angle beside it so you can tell if the lens is focusing properly. I've shot lots of focus charts and no matter how careful I am, I get inconsistent results. While your camera MAY have a focus issue, I'm not convinced yet from what you've posted.

It doesn't matter what you are shooting if you are comparing with and without the filters. Just use the same subject, something easy, set a custom white balance, use low ISO and the same exposure settings. Put the camera on something very sturdy, set it to 2 sec. delay and push the shutter. The 2 sec. delay turns off the SR and takes away any possible movement by you which is possible even with the camera on a solid surface. Something inside works as well as something outside.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by popellis View Post
What would you suggest as a test setup to see if I can improve a shot. Being that it is winter and it gets dark by 5:00. Natural light shots are a bit out of the question. I can setup a tripod and try different lenses. But I need a subject that will not move and something with Texture to show detail and sharpness. Wouldn't I?
You should upload a full image to flickr so you can rule out resizing being the issue.
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:59 PM   #16

Thanks Mntgal

I will try to set something up next couple days.

And you were right PSE was set for Bicubic smoothing.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:48 PM   #17

I find stuffed animals work great for test shots. Lots of fine detail in the fur to see if things are sharp.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:40 PM   #18

Post processing is the answer - what's overlooked is that most, if not all, dSRLs don't do much internal processing; they are better than earlier dSRLs (*istDS), but still, IMHO, don't produce a finished result that gives the image that 'bit of bite' that you're looking for.

In respect of the above, having owned a *istDS, K10 & K5, I've found the results to be more disappointing as I've improved my camera -yes image quality appears better, but the overall result can be a tad flat.

Here's a couple that I've processed using Lightroom v5 which do make them stand out a bit better, albeit with a loss of some detail in the dark areas.

As far as filters go, apart from a ND filter to protect the lens, I prefer to make any changes during the post process stages.
Attached Images

Last edited by Catbells; Jan 2, 2014 at 12:42 PM.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:21 PM   #19

Catbells

If I'm reading this right, the images that I see that are suppose to be straight out of the camera, and sharp as a tack, is a how do i say, a pipe dream or a lie. That the only way to get these type of images is in post processing. By the way I do like your images, although image #1 looks a little overdone to me.
I'm not trying to start trouble but if all we need to do is master post process software, why do we keep upgrading cameras and lenses.

Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:53 PM   #20

Default settings in the camera tend to give you a pretty good, but not great image.
You can get more sharpness and contrast by increasing these setting in you camera menu, without post - processing, if you like. The reason many, if not most, serious photographers use photo editing software, is to give the image that extra bit.
I find nothing wrong with the shots you posted, other than being a bit out of plumb. If they look soft, it is probably because we are all more used to looking at processed photos, saturated colors, sharpened, and with added contrast. The camera just gives you what things look like - it's up to you to make them look better than they do.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote