Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:02 PM   #41

The last two shots of Mickey are too small to tell much about them. Your charts look pretty good - while it does appear there's a bit of backfocusing at wider focal lengths, there isn't much and the important thing is that your line is in sharp focus. I have trouble with shooting focus charts with wide-angle lenses because the AF sensor is fairly large and it's easy for the camera to focus on the wrong line. But it does look like your AF isn't a big issue. So that comes back to technique and other camera issues. Do you notice much difference with and without SR? I sometimes thought SR was a problem on one of my cameras. Another of my worst habits is to very slightly move the right side of the camera downward when I push the shutter - I'm always having to slightly rotate my photos because the horizon is slightly tilted, and the camera said I was level before I pushed the shutter all the way. I'm sure that slight movement contributes to motion blur.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:54 AM   #42

I do not use filters for protection purposes. I'm not going to put a 20 dollar piece of glass in front of a 600 dollar lens. Better off with a stiff lens hood for protection.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:26 PM   #43

Mtngal: all the test shots I have made here were on a tripod with SR off so as to eliminate user error. Yes the last 2 shots were cropped and resized as suggested and they came out 2 small.

James: I have heard that statement before I just torn between replacing glass or lenses. I am still trying to figure out issues.

The main reason for this thread was to figure out why I cannot seem to get those tack sharp images I usually see posted straight from the camera. I started this with the Pentax DA 18-135 wr zoom and some with the DA-70 limited for comparison. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:58 AM   #44

My general rule of thumb (and not necessarily gospel) is to double the focal length for my shutter speed to prevent unwanted minor blur, etc. That is, if I am shooting at 70mm, I use a shutter speed of at least double that, like 1/140 or the nearest available shutter speed. This is with hand held shots of course.