Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:30 AM   #1

Default Florida Birds

The first is a Limpkin Don't see too many of these, then a Great Egret and a Cormorant. All shot with the K30 and DAL 55-300 and my first venture into Lightroom.

Hans

IMGP1998-2 by hnikesch, on Flickr

IMGP2037 by hnikesch, on Flickr

IMGP2005-3 by hnikesch, on Flickr

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:32 PM   #2

I'd say your first venture is a great success!!
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:41 PM   #3

You did very well with these, Hans. Nice detail, good color, and no blown-out whites.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:38 PM   #4

Thanks Guys, Gary your bird images inspired me

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:43 AM   #5

The first pic is my fave. I hear you about Lightroom. I have PE10 sitting on the shelf because I got tired of being intimidated. :-) It just seems so complex to find anything or know what any thing is. One of these days I'll buy a book and load it back in to the PC. One would think that an instructional CD would be included with the software. You don't buy a camera without a manual.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
The first pic is my fave. I hear you about Lightroom. I have PE10 sitting on the shelf because I got tired of being intimidated. :-) It just seems so complex to find anything or know what any thing is. One of these days I'll buy a book and load it back in to the PC. One would think that an instructional CD would be included with the software. You don't buy a camera without a manual.
Well, James, you can always try Zoner Photo Studio. It's FAR from intimidating and much faster than PE or LR. There's a free version but the "Pro" version is well-worth it.
My Gallery

--
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Well, James, you can always try Zoner Photo Studio. It's FAR from intimidating and much faster than PE or LR. There's a free version but the "Pro" version is well-worth it.
Is there a place to view the manual or how to tips? I've played with one photo and didn't seem to have any trouble doing some basic editing.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Is there a place to view the manual or how to tips? I've played with one photo and didn't seem to have any trouble doing some basic editing.
Absolutely! http://www.zoner.com/en/tutorials There's also a dedicated forum and VERY responsive developers.
My Gallery

--
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:09 PM   #9

Quote:
I hear you about Lightroom. I have PE10 sitting on the shelf because I got tired of being intimidated. :-)
Thanks James, It is a learning experience but I am retired and have the time, so far it's worth it, I like PSE and use PSE11 often but the ability to automate frequent tasks in LR is great and all edits are non-destructive by default even when processing jpegs

Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:02 AM   #10

Very nicely done! I've been playing around with DxO again, but I find Lightroom so useful for organization that I won't be giving it up anytime soon. There are all sorts of tutorials and instructions/articles on the internet, and I also joined NAPP for the Photoshop User magazine. Their how-to articles are excellent, though they are mostly on Photoshop.

I've discovered more and more software skips the instructions, expecting you to figure it out or else use the help menus. It might save them money, but personally I hate it.

I've been thinking about upgrading my computer. But then I might have to upgrade my software and am not sure I'm real interested in doing that. But I really would like to have LR5 instead of LR4, but that means upgrading to Lion or beyond (Maverick?) and I am reluctant to leave Snow Leopard.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote