Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:08 PM   #1

Default 1 Self Portrait (4 treatments)

Here's my attempt at a grungy self portrait. 4 mildly different Lightroom treatments. Couldn't tell which one was my favorite. Let me know what you think.

Self Portrait #1 by CCampbell2, on Flickr

Self Portrait #2 by CCampbell2, on Flickr

Self Portrait #3 by CCampbell2, on Flickr

Self Portrait #4 by CCampbell2, on Flickr

Okay, a late fifth entry...

Self Portrait #5 by CCampbell2, on Flickr

Last edited by sumx4182; Jan 17, 2014 at 8:03 PM.
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:30 PM   #2

#5 for me.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:39 PM   #3

Number 1. Nice shooting.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:48 PM   #4

Thanks! I think I like #5 too. Number one bugs me because I didn't go back and clone out one highlight from a stray hair right at the top that I notice and got rid of in the rest. haha.

The challenge for this shot was that it was taken in my living room with 2 story windows at 1 o'clock in the afternoon. Broad daylight! And I don't have a flash. You figure out how I managed. haha
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:24 PM   #5

Some constructive criticism from the PF about straightening, cropping, and adding some fill to the left side has led to this version.

Self Portrait #6 by CCampbell2, on Flickr

Last edited by sumx4182; Jan 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:42 AM   #6

I like your last one - I liked the first one but it was a bit too low-key for my taste. I liked the 5th one because there was a little more detail, but prefer more contrast when using b&w (which is probably not necessarily a good opinion). I think the last one is a nice mix of low-key while still adding some detail on the left side. It's my favorite.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I like your last one - I liked the first one but it was a bit too low-key for my taste. I liked the 5th one because there was a little more detail, but prefer more contrast when using b&w (which is probably not necessarily a good opinion). I think the last one is a nice mix of low-key while still adding some detail on the left side. It's my favorite.
Thanks!

In case anyone is interested in the process. I've never tried to do any formal portrait or self portrait. I literally have no lighting gear. No flash, no reflectors or lights of any kind. Like I mentioned before, this photo was taken in my living room at 1 o'clock in the afternoon with 2 story windows! The light comes from a table lamp that I set on a reclining chair and tilted to light one half of my face. With any more experience or equipment, I likely would have set up some sort of reflector for a bit of fill on the other side. The lamp wasn't bright enough to black out the background but it took it down a few stops. So the rest I had to do in post. For a jerry-rigged shot, I'm pleased.