Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:33 AM   #1

Default Cancer and Photography

Hey all!

Sorry I am not around much. This month I was diagnosed with having cancer. Not looking for you to feel bad for me, rather just the opposite. Rejoice with me. My doctor says we can beat this. And just yesterday, when I came home I received word that I was accepted into college to study photography professionally. I start in March. At age 56, going back to school, packing my Pentax K7 with me where I go is my way of telling cancer, "Hasta la vista, baby!" as Schwarzenegger would say.

Oh, almost forgot, here is a quick shot I took yesterday while driving to Mänttä here in central Finland. Yeah, its a little artsy... I will work on a better shot later, just wanted to mess around with Topaz a little. Thanks for looking!

Ned

First Photo with HDR and Topaz

Second Photo from single photo (though the photo was underexposed a bit)

Last edited by Eetu; Jan 26, 2014 at 1:49 PM.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:48 PM   #2

Very nice shot and good luck in the Photography course. Being strong willed has a lot to do with beating cancer. My mother is stubborn as an ox and very strong willed. She is 97 and still living at home and cooking for herself. So there is a lot of truth to that and she has fought off several diseases including cancer.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:49 PM   #3

After 41 yrs of marriage my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer last May. She had surgery and (36) doses of radiation (no chemo thank god). As of now she is in remission-glad you have such a great attitude-that is very important-a good support system helps, also. Hope the health insurance in Finland is good-can be challenging here in the USA. Growing older isn't for sissies-I'm sure you will do great. Good luck with college-never too old to learn something new.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Very nice shot and good luck in the Photography course. Being strong willed has a lot to do with beating cancer. My mother is stubborn as an ox and very strong willed. She is 97 and still living at home and cooking for herself. So there is a lot of truth to that and she has fought off several diseases including cancer.

Hi James! Many kind thanks for your words and encouragement. Your mother sounds like a special person... amazing to be 97 and still going strong!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
After 41 yrs of marriage my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer last May. She had surgery and (36) doses of radiation (no chemo thank god). As of now she is in remission-glad you have such a great attitude-that is very important-a good support system helps, also. Hope the health insurance in Finland is good-can be challenging here in the USA. Growing older isn't for sissies-I'm sure you will do great. Good luck with college-never too old to learn something new.
Thanks for your kind words. Yeah, here in Finland they have good health care, but it was easier and faster to see a doctor when I lived in England. Anyway, Finland is pretty modern... Hope your wife continues recover. Not easy seeing a loved one suffer! Thanks again and all the best.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Thanks for your kind words. Yeah, here in Finland they have good health care, but it was easier and faster to see a doctor when I lived in England. Anyway, Finland is pretty modern... Hope your wife continues recover. Not easy seeing a loved one suffer! Thanks again and all the best.
God bless you and all the very best with your studies!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:43 PM   #7

I need to take some courses too. Maybe some day I'll to have time to do so. I lost my step father August 23, 2012 to brain cancer. I'm not going to dwell too much on this. It sounds like you have a great attitude. Get the best support you can and do the things you love. Your picture is very nice. Tell us more about it.
Weebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:01 PM   #8

Wonderful photo treatment! The K7 is proving to be a great companion.

Your doctor's attitude -- and yours -- seem on the right path.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
God bless you and all the very best with your studies!
Many kind thanks! All the best. Ned
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
Wonderful photo treatment! The K7 is proving to be a great companion.

Your doctor's attitude -- and yours -- seem on the right path.
Many thanks! K7 is still making me happy.