Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Great purchase there Daniel, I think that of all of the FF cameras out there this is the one I would choose. With an adapter and focus peaking it would mean that all of my FA lenses would work as they should, including my 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.4. That would make for a great super-high-quality kit. As for stabilization and autofocus, well a tripod (when necessary), high ISO and focus peaking should take care of that. Not exactly a camera for fast action, more like a Leica at mere mortal prices.

Can't wait to see some examples. If I get to Toronto next year I will let you know. BTW my youngest son was given an NEX6 for Christmas from his girlfriend, it is a great camera so I can only imagine how much better the Alpha 7 with that big sensor is.
Feel free to give me a shout coming over to Toronto and stay with us for a few days. That is before I move to a high rise condo instead of a home in a couple of years. BTW we do have high rise condo in this part of the world.

I agree that there is an novelty factor in yearning for FF. I would love to see how it behaves with my FA28mm and F50mm F.17. Before you mentioning NEX 6 I was eyeing in that area too as its costs is a lot more manageable $600 vs $1700 for Alpha 7. They are very close in electronics except that the latter has FF.
The girl friend of your son has made a great choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
The Sony Alpha 7 seems a bit expensive to me considering it doesn't do AF or SR, just for a place to mount Pentax lenses.
I agree as said above. One more advantage of Nex 6 or Alpha 7 is that there is no need to use green button to stop down for manual lenses. That is a big plus using old prime lenses plus its manual focusing is a joy not a minor pain.
When the adapter comes in I can't wait to test run. Hope the weather warms up a bit though. It is now under 0 F

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:35 PM   #12

Ok. All the wait or fooling around with Sony is over.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles...plus-2015.html

I just wish the new FF Pentax will have TTL and my 280T Flash will be in active service again. I just love its power and sturdiness.
All my lenses are FF too - A300mm F4, DA200mm, FA135mm, FA100mm macro, F50mm F1.7, FA28mm and Zenitar 16mm, Sigma 24-60mm F2.8
Hope the weather in Toronto relents too LOL

Daniel
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:45 PM   #13

In body SR is assured for the new FF body and it should be very competitive competing head on with the heavy weights.
Sony has scaled back on its SR too. So Pentax is unique in that aspect

Daniel
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:52 PM   #14

Since I can't manage a K3 very well any more, I'm not going to be interested in buying the new FF Pentax when it comes out. Too bad - a couple of years ago I would have jumped on it!

Like the idea of the long tele lens they are also releasing, but since I'm not using anything longer than 100mm at the moment, I'm not going to look at it, either. Not that I could afford it or anything. I'm hoping that all the new gear will be very successful, even if I'm not going to get any of it. And that could change later on, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:23 AM   #15

I agree. I'm very happy for all of the Pentaxians who have been pining for a full-frame digital set up. But, frankly, I can't afford the new camera and lenses, and I'm still pretty happy with the gear I've got. I can get by on APS-C just fine.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:30 AM   #16

I'm one of those who have been looking forwards to a possible FF camera with a somewhat laidback interest. All of my lenses except two are film era legacy lenses, the best Pentax could do at that time. And that was gooood!

These are my crucial points when I decide to buy or not:
- Price. I don't make a penny on photography, the purchase must be defendable.
- Ergonomics. I like Pentax for the small sized bodies with outstanding user friendliness. Holding a Nikon or Canon body feels like holding a shoe-box.
- Rather high ISO capability than high pixel count.
- Wether it proves or not that film era lenses haven't become obsolete. There are two potential problems involved. No rear element coatings might prove a bigger weakness than we hope. Lens design: older lenses spread the light rays from a center position, hitting the film/sensor plane from an angle. More the further from center we are, thus will the problem probably be larger with FF sensors. Newer (digital era) lens designs make the light rays hit the sensor 90 degrees (or near) over the whole sensor area. Maybe this is why some users claim that their older top notch lenses cause more chromatic abberrations on digital than they do on film.

If I decide not to buy a FF camera, my K5 will serve me fine till there is a second generation K3. I still use my *istDS from time to time.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:57 PM   #17

The majority of my lenses are FF lenses anyway, only the 10-17mm fisheye zoom and the 14mm remain of my DA lenses. Three FA lenses (28-70mm f4, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4), an F 50mm f1.7, and two Tamrons, a 75-300mm f4-5.6 and an SP 70-200mm f2.8 make up my current kit so I am ready for full frame but it is still a future "maybe" since I don't know what my financial state will be after I leave this job in June. It is good to see this as a possibility however.

I think Kjell's comments can be echoed here. There are a number of negatives to full frame that many people overlook since the overall image quality is marginally better with better dynamic range and greater DOF control. Size, weight, a larger area to collect dust, softer corner sharpness due to the larger image circle and the problems with angularity that Kjell mentioned are all negatives. I now use an old DS as my "grab and run whatever the conditions" camera since it would not be a great loss if it was damaged and that gives me greater freedom to experiment. A K7 is my "serious" northern camera and the K5 is waiting for me in NB. Would a full frame camera improve my photography? Honestly, probably not. It is by learning more and practicing what I learn that I will become a better photographer, and maybe then I will deserve that better camera.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Feb 8, 2015 at 9:06 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote