Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:41 PM   #1

Default Finally a full frame camera for K lenses from Sony

I think at long last there is a rebirth of K mount manual/AF lenses because of the advent of the new Sony Alpha 7 camera.
I have been playing with it for an hour with an old Canon FD lens 50mm F1.4 and the result is stunning.
With a 3” display it is like using the viewfinder of 645 except that it is 4 times bigger (at least).
Also it is full frame, period.
I have just ordered an adapter for K mount lenses (for that I have a few manual/AF lensese). I cannot wait to mount it on my FA28mm full frame.
And for those with M42 lenses there are a few adapters as well
https://www.google.com/search?q=sony...r+m42&tbm=shop
This is a prelim report as I am currently in Austin, Texas. I will post some images later on.
One negative point is that the Alpha camera does not provide in camera IS – a break from earlier models.
With Sony providing full frame for K lens there is no need for Pentax or Ricoh to go for full frame at all. Now I know why Pentax has been dragging on their feet.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:39 PM   #2

I'll be interested in your reaction when you get everything together. Do the adapters allow the camera to stop down the lens when you take the picture? Or do you have to stop down the lens before you press the shutter (and either have to focus through a smaller lens opening) or focus and then stop down the lens? Since the LCD screen gains up to show you what you are doing, I don't suppose it matters as much as it would with an optical viewfinder. It's the main reason why I've always kept to K-mount lenses, ignoring any M42 ones.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'll be interested in your reaction when you get everything together. Do the adapters allow the camera to stop down the lens when you take the picture? Or do you have to stop down the lens before you press the shutter (and either have to focus through a smaller lens opening) or focus and then stop down the lens? Since the LCD screen gains up to show you what you are doing, I don't suppose it matters as much as it would with an optical viewfinder. It's the main reason why I've always kept to K-mount lenses, ignoring any M42 ones.
There is no need to stop down.
Say you set that to F4 and 1/50 then the camera will do the metering by altering the auto iso. Very cool setup

Daniel
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:00 AM   #4

For a camera to use third party lenses there are pros and cons. As far as I can see the pros are:
1. FF; longer lenses can be wider lenses now
2. manual focus is a breeze , a sure snap on & joyous exercise now
3. Its low light performance is breathtaking - going over manageable iso 11000.
4. adapters to other mounts are cheap. It is easy to mount other M42, Minolta, Nikon, Canon lenses. Pentax cameras can do that too
4. the Nex7 system can bring up value of old glass.

Cons are:
1. No shake reduction or IS
2. No autofocus
3. costs of course. Even if anyone wants to switch over completely there are few selection of native lenses

Daniel
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:50 PM   #5

Okay, Daniel... let me undestand clearly: With the new Sony A7 cameras, all you have to worry about when using legacy Pentax glass is focusing? Metering and exposure (aperture, shutter speed and ISO) can be handled automatically depending on what mode you have the camera set in?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Okay, Daniel... let me undestand clearly: With the new Sony A7 cameras, all you have to worry about when using legacy Pentax glass is focusing? Metering and exposure (aperture, shutter speed and ISO) can be handled automatically depending on what mode you have the camera set in?
From what I can see the adapters do not have auto aperture control. Some of the adapters will enable you to stop down a DA, A or M lens but you must focus with the lens stopped down or focus open then stop down to meter. The adapters work just as they do on the Pentax Q when adapting K mount lenses. The adapters do not have the electric contacts to allow the camera to talk to the lenses, also the adapter doesn't have the stop down lever to operate the lens aperture like a Pentax body can.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
From what I can see the adapters do not have auto aperture control. .
All I did was to decide what aperture and shutter speed and enter those in (by turning the aperture ring and dial on camera). The display showed F-. That is it. The auto iso deals with the rest. And I just concentrate on focusing before firing. I was in M mode with auto iso.

I ordered the adapter from an eBay vendor (HK). I am back to TO now and should be able to rent (or buck my Sony buddy) the camera to try out when the adapter is in

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; Feb 5, 2014 at 9:55 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 1:18 PM   #8

Thanks, Daniel. Keep us up to date.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:37 PM   #9

Great purchase there Daniel, I think that of all of the FF cameras out there this is the one I would choose. With an adapter and focus peaking it would mean that all of my FA lenses would work as they should, including my 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.4. That would make for a great super-high-quality kit. As for stabilization and autofocus, well a tripod (when necessary), high ISO and focus peaking should take care of that. Not exactly a camera for fast action, more like a Leica at mere mortal prices.

Can't wait to see some examples. If I get to Toronto next year I will let you know. BTW my youngest son was given an NEX6 for Christmas from his girlfriend, it is a great camera so I can only imagine how much better the Alpha 7 with that big sensor is.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:20 PM   #10

The Sony Alpha 7 seems a bit expensive to me considering it doesn't do AF or SR, just for a place to mount Pentax lenses.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote