Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:52 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 263
Default Anyone else not like the cold?

I find that I photograph a lot less in the winter. I just don't like being out in the cold and like risking my gear even less. So I've been using some of this time to go through photos from last year to clean up some of the throw aways, look for hidden gems that I might have missed, or take time to reprocess some that might end up turning out better than I originally though. This is one of those efforts.


Lonesome by CCampbell2, on Flickr
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:17 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 263
Default

And another


Two-Face by CCampbell2, on Flickr
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,052
Default

I like the photos.

Though I don't agree with you about not photographing much in the cold - I was cataloging some of my photos and I think I take almost as many snow pictures as I do flowers (which I'm always shooting, just love them). That's why I'm delighted to have a weather-sealed camera. One of the first excursions I took with my K10 was on a snowy walk with the A300 on it. Since the lens has no sealing, I kept the lens pointing down, sort-of under my jacket and left the LCD exposed to the snow falling. That camera was still working about a year or two ago. I am sensible about it all, but I don't baby my gear and snowshoeing is fun.

Having said that, I didn't bother getting up and taking pictures of the bit of snow we had yesterday. I'm now sorry I didn't take at least one picture, just to remind myself what it looks like when it snows (we've had very little this year, serious drought going on, and nothing much in the forecast).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I like the photos.

Though I don't agree with you about not photographing much in the cold - I was cataloging some of my photos and I think I take almost as many snow pictures as I do flowers (which I'm always shooting, just love them). That's why I'm delighted to have a weather-sealed camera. One of the first excursions I took with my K10 was on a snowy walk with the A300 on it. Since the lens has no sealing, I kept the lens pointing down, sort-of under my jacket and left the LCD exposed to the snow falling. That camera was still working about a year or two ago. I am sensible about it all, but I don't baby my gear and snowshoeing is fun.

Having said that, I didn't bother getting up and taking pictures of the bit of snow we had yesterday. I'm now sorry I didn't take at least one picture, just to remind myself what it looks like when it snows (we've had very little this year, serious drought going on, and nothing much in the forecast).
Well cold for you is what, like 50? lol. It was -13 here a few weeks ago, over -30 with the wind chill. And we currently have about 6 inches of snow on the ground with 4-6 more projected tonight and tomorrow. I'll just stay inside!!
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
Well cold for you is what, like 50? lol. It was -13 here a few weeks ago, over -30 with the wind chill. And we currently have about 6 inches of snow on the ground with 4-6 more projected tonight and tomorrow. I'll just stay inside!!
Since when does it snow when it is 50?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:50 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Since when does it snow when it is 50?

John
When did I say that it did? She said that she didn't mind going out in the cold, and my remark was intimating that being from California, cold for her was probably not cold for me...

I never said that it snowed at 50 degrees.

Last edited by sumx4182; Feb 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM.
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,052
Default

Ah, there's California and then there's California.

My front yard a couple of years ago:



A different year (but the same car, which I no longer own), showing the house:



We are currently having a big draught - almost no snow this winter, and it's been pretty warm. But here's a picture from December:



When you live at 6,000 feet elevation, it snows. And it gets cold. Even in Southern California. It was 19F this morning at the house, 21F when I stopped for gas (and windy). Hilarious to see me in down jacket and gloves gasing up the car and someone with a U-Haul in capri length pants and a sweatshirt, who was obviously driving through on their way to somewhere much warmer. I'm sure she was freezing! Granted, this year has been unusually warm, the highs in January were often in the 50's and no snow (big-time drought). My gas bill was about the same as it is in spring, not winter.

But then I get to work and I see the California everyone thinks about - where a high of 50 something is really, really cold and people wear gloves when its 45F. I have to laugh at that, considering what I leave in the morning and return to at night.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
DMJJR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 926
Default

When I lived in New Hampshire I put my camera away after Christmas pictures. Just not worth it-and I also don't take photo's of things I hate. That's why my new home is in Arizona. Will be in Seattle for the summer with my daughter so won't have to worry about the heat.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
When did I say that it did? She said that she didn't mind going out in the cold, and my remark was intimating that being from California, cold for her was probably not cold for me...

I never said that it snowed at 50 degrees.
No, but she mentioned snow at least once so obviously it gets colder than 50.

But, yeah, I'm not sure I'd be out taking pictures where you live either with those temps, unless it was from a car or a really well heated blind. I think you have the right idea, use this time to make the best of what you have already shot. When does it start to warm up?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:14 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
No, but she mentioned snow at least once so obviously it gets colder than 50.

But, yeah, I'm not sure I'd be out taking pictures where you live either with those temps, unless it was from a car or a really well heated blind. I think you have the right idea, use this time to make the best of what you have already shot. When does it start to warm up?

John
Sure, I know it GETS colder than 50, but my comment was still regarding her idea of cold versus our idea of cold. Texas gets snow on occasion, but I also bet they are bundled up at 50 when I would still be wearing shorts.

It will start warming up in April...the winter clothes will start to go away once the temps consistently stay in the 50's during the day. lol
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:51 AM.