Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:32 PM   #11

Harriet and Scott... thanks so much for the real-world feedback. I think I have a very clear picture of your experiences. I think I won't be in a hurry to upgrade to the K-3 but I won't rule it out, either.

I bought the K-5 early in its run because I really believed it was a game-changer for Pentaxians. The K-3 is clearly an upgrade but perhaps it's not as large a leap over the K-5 family as the K-5 was over the K-20 and K-7. With the K-3, I think I can wait - perhaps not until closeout, but at least until prices drop a bit.

Meanwhile, Harriet, I hear you about using small and light and gear. I had the original Q for quite a while and liked it. But I realized that I really only liked using it with the 01 prime. The interchangeable lenses weren't getting much use on that small body. So when the price of the Ricoh GR came down, I sold my Q kit and picked up the GR.

I highly recommend the GR if you value one-handed operation, a high level of customization and are satisfied with a very sharp 28mm prime (with very useful 35mm and 47mm crop modes). Autofocus is just fine in good light and decent if not blazing fast in low light. But the snap-focus modes often mean one doesn't need autofocus at all.

Last edited by Biro; Mar 31, 2014 at 11:34 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:33 PM   #12

This is somewhat tongue in cheek but I have just upgraded from a K20D to a K7!! I don't have the K7 with me here in the north since the K20 is now a great "knock around" camera since it is quite tough and I have a battery grip so it has good power and a better grip for big gloves at -20C (I know it is not rated for those temperatures but it works so there). (I refuse to fix that run-on sentence)
Due to past film camera purchases I also have a Sony/Minolta system which my wife Annette now uses. I will upgrade to a better camera eventually but the step to the K3 is somewhat a giant leap right now, however it is good to hear more about the pluses and minuses of the K5 and K3, keep it coming.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old May 19, 2014, 1:06 PM   #13

If anyone cares, I finally caved in and picked up a K-5IIs from B&H. Because I had a gift card from them, I was able to buy the camera body, two SanDisk Extreme 16gb 45mb/sec memory cards and a spare battery - and still keep it under $700. I may eventually buy a K-3 but, after thinking about it for quite a while, I think I prefer to stick with the 16mp files for now. My K-30 goes to my niece, who also has my old K200D (still working fine). My original K-5 stays with me.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:37 PM   #14

I went from the K-5 to the K-3. The file size is not a big problem with my computer. The gain in resolution is only to ISO 800, after that the increase in noise from smaller pixels negates the benefit. My current thread on the Least Bittern nest was taken at ISO 1600 and looks good. ISO 3200 is worse on the K-3. Focusing offers more options and I do benefit if I need to crop from a target that was further away. Otherwise the K-5 was great.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 6:47 AM   #15

Does anyone know if the PTTL bounce/off camera performance of K5II will be improved with firmware? Or is it hardware issue? I only use my flashes in manual mode and it's be nice to be able to use bounce flash in PTTL for a change when there's no time for fiddling with manual flash.

I noticed that wireless PTTL is useless, looks like flash is firing at full blast. Bounce from camera not much better but underexposed. That is my only gripe with K5II.

Pentax K-3 II, DA 50/1.8, Vivitar S1 105/2.5 macro, Tamron 70-200/2.8, Sigma 18-35/1.8 Art
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 6:17 AM   #16

Guess I'll have to check for FW updates on my K5. Although, I have been perfectly happy with it. No thoughts to upgrade unless the K3 came way down in price. Thanks for the experiences shared here.

Really need to get back into photography again. Just haven't had the desire much in the past year. But, I've been itching to go out lately. Maybe once this rain stops.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2014, 11:40 AM   #17

Exactly, Patty. Maybe when the K-3 body drops below $700. I hope things are going well for you these days.