Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:37 PM   #1

Default April Challenge: Your favorite shot ever

Dear all,
The rules for this challenge are going to be a little different. What is the same is you have to use a Pentax / Samsung dslr or K mount mirrorless camera. The difference is there is no capture date. It can be any picture you have ever taken with the aforementioned cameras. But, it must be your favorite, not necessarily your best (although it could be). There is one additional rule. You must explain why this shot is your favorite. For all of us judging, the explanation will be part of what we judge the photo on. One final note, it can be a picture you have already entered in another monthly challenge. Good luck.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:35 AM   #2

My favorite shot ever was shot with a Pentax ME Super Program with SMC-A 50 f1.7. We had gotten up early to drive from Yellowstone to Jackson Hole and I saw this image through my rear view mirror, turned the van around under protest of my sleeping wife, brother and sister in law got out and waited in the cold for the fog to be just right, one of my favorite vacations ever great memories , hope film Pentax SLR is OK
Attached Images

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Fun idea.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:53 PM   #4

This is still a favorite. I'd been hoping for a sunny day, when I drove 80 miles to the wildlife refuge. I found it totally socked in by fog and had no chance of getting the Sandhill Cranes, as they flew out at sunrise. Got some foggy landscape shots and then this one. I was high on an embankment, over the lake, as these Trumpeter Swans took off above some Coots. The lifting fog gives the photo a soft feel and blurs the trees. The white of the swans stands out and it appears as if I'm flying with them.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:09 PM   #5
daz

As my goto camera is at CRIS (warranty cleaning and check) along with a lens I dropped ($450 and counting, (I have got to stop dropping things!) this a good challenge.

Some years back I was in the car listening to Trans-Siberian Orchestra “The World That She Sees”. I started to visualize what was in the lyrics. I got this picture in my head of the lyrics that I could not get out of my head.

Hear is a copy of the lyrics if you have not heard the song.

The World That She Sees Lyrics
By Trans-Siberian Orchestra

There in this night
There is a life
Someone who waits for me
Only a child
Dreams and a smile
Waiting to play

And now she's found
Snow on the ground
Magic has been set free
She's waited here
All of this year
Just for this day

And then the night comes alive
With lights to dazzle
And everything's extraordinary
Nothing is left ordinary

Christmas has come
With its long memory
And in my mind
It always will be
The world that she sees

Caught in this night
Pieces of light
Glitter and play for you
And made of glass
Dreams from the past
Wait for this day

And if you try
Look in the sky
One star is shining through
And on this eve
You can't believe
It's far away

And then the night comes alive
With lights to dazzle
And everything's extraordinary
Nothing is left ordinary

Christmas has come
With its long memory
And in my mind
It always will be
The world that she sees

There on this night
Pieces of light
There on this night
Pieces of light

Christmas has come
Christmas has come

The world that she sees
The world that she sees

On this night
On this night

The world that she sees

Then after he had thought awhile
The father recalled another child
Born in a time now far away
And how this child's dreams
Had reached this day

He wondered what that child had thought
And when he slept what dreams he sought
And did the shepherds understand
All the hopes in that child's hands?
And how those hopes would still survive
As dreams within each newborn's eyes

Then the child heard a clock tolling
From a distant city tower
And she gazed up at the starlight
On this Christmas midnight hour

And she wondered if these stars
Were all but bits of dreams
From somewhere in the distant past
That somehow, could still be seen

And she wondered if her candle
Upon this magic night
Could be seen by someone faraway
As their own starlight

Days went by and all I could think of was the picture and how I could make this a photo. I may have been easer if I was a painter but I can't paint so I had to figure out how to do this with a camera. At this point I am doomed. To get the picture out of my head I am going to have to make this photo.

In the picture it had the world of course but also a star on the world and a beam of light coming down on the the world. There was a light up in one corner like a star but not defined with an outline. The ground and background were the same but the background was also different. The ground also had a shadow of the world and specs on the ground like the start of snow. The whole thing would be in blues and reds. Opposite ends but together in the photo.

I had it mostly all figured out except how to make the beam of light show in the photo. There was some things I knew I was going to have to fine tune like the flash settings and were the highlights landed on the world. I knew were the beam of light would come out of the world but not the shape it would make. As I had no way to control that I did not think anything of it.

I had some purple wrapping paper from christmas. As this was purple I could make it any color of red or blue I wanted with gels on the flash units. I used the paper in a no line background. I used one flash with a blue gel and a snoot close to the paper so a little light would shine on the paper but most of the light would be like a spot on the world and make a shadow. The other used a red gel and an umbrella in front to cast a overall red light with little to no shadow. A little water spray on the paper to make spots (snow). To make the star on the world I used a small cheap laser with a holographic lens.

Next I took some test photos to adjust the flash units and move the world around to get the highlights hidden. Now I am stuck. How to get the beam of light? I stopped to think about this.

After about 3 days I think I have it. I would turn off all the lights in the room and drag the shutter. Then in the dark I would put something in the beam and move it so it would show in the photo.

At first I use a white peace of paper. But the laser beam made the paper glow so you could see the paper and the light also went though the paper on to the world making the star look fuzzy. Then I though of Cinefoil. It is flat black and the light can't shine though it. So I make a little wand out of the stuff.

So here I am in the pitch black. Can't see a thing. I put the wand over the laser. I trip the shutter release, the flash units light up the room (now I really can't see anything!). I move the wand down the beam until it touches the world. I then move it up so the star is on the world.

Now that I had the picture what do I do with it? For the next Christmas I had it printed on a 23x30 metallic print paper and mounted in a big frame. I then gave 2 copes as gifts but I kept a copy for myself so now it is on my wall and not in my head!

It may not be my best but it is probably my favorite as it is out and not in my head.

DAZ

May I present:

The world that she sees.

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:10 PM   #6

It's so difficult for me to commit to a favorite so I'm going to cop out and go with my most popular photo on flickr. This photo has the most views, comments, and favorites of any photo in my photostream. While I now find issue with it (a few dust spots and such) and I hope to go back an reprocess some time soon...I do have a fondness for it.

I believe it's one of my favorites for a number of reasons. It was in the middle of a Caribbean cruise vacation so it's hard not to think highly of a nice photo taken during a great, relaxing trip. I also like the richness of the colors, the golden cast against the ship, the clouds providing interesting items to look at in the sky but not enough to become overpowering, the angle effect with the 8mm fisheye, and the sunburst. It just all works for me.

Untitled by CCampbell2, on Flickr

Last edited by sumx4182; Apr 17, 2014 at 12:59 PM.
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:42 AM   #7

Default Kya

I haven't had my K-5 II very long so this is my favorite shot so far. Meet Kya. We adopted her from the shelter just before this past Thanksgiving. She is a delight and adds so much to our lives.

The year before I found a stray kitten and took it in. We took her to the vets and had her fixed. Christmas day she disappeared. It was two weeks later I found her dead. We think something went wrong with the surgery. I was heart broken.
I found Kya on the internet and fell in love at once. Getting her to hold still for a pic has been a challenge. So Iam proud to have gotten this lovely portrait of her.

IMGP0040_0823 by cruxthedragon, on Flickr
MAGIKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:02 PM   #8

Some wonderful shots and stories. Keep them coming!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:17 PM   #9

There are several reasons this is my favorite. First its my favorite girl. Second its in one of my favorite places (the Black Forest). Third it really represents the way my wife is the color and warmth in my life!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:21 PM   #10

This is my favorite photo. It has been the desktop image on my computer for several years. I took it in October, 2010 with my K20 and the DA 16-45 lens. My wife and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary, spending the weekend at a small cabin on the shore of the lake you see. The cabin has been in my family for more than 50 years. Our wedding day was memorable for many reasons, not the least of which was a near hurricane that was blowing up the east coast. The weather on the weekend when we celebrated our 25th was completely different: spectacularly clear and warm, with the fall foliage near its peak. I can't look at this photo without thinking about that delightful weekend, and looking forward to our next 25.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote