Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:57 PM   #1

Default K-30 or K50? Which is which?

I never thought I'd do that - ask for information on a couple of Pentax DSLR's.. Pentax being such a special brand with sometimes peculiar functions that nobody else has. Being a perfectly happy Nikon guy (I have the D700 - D300s - D5300 and D5100) + started out with, and still owe the Panasonic G1 - GF3 and G5, I am now looking to find my way through the Pentax-system of cameras, the naming convention of it.

The reason is that none of my cameras are properly weather sealed or "splash-proof", as most of the newer Pentax ones are. I just need a capable camera as a back-up, in case it rains.

What is the technical difference between the K-30 and the K-50? Which is the older and which the newer? Which has the edge over the other??? I am a bit puzzled by the naming of Pentax. I know there once was a K7, which was followed by a K-5 (??) and is now replaced by a K-3 ....? So, is this consistent with Lower number means a Newer (and better) camera?

I am thinking of buying either one of those (K-30 or K-50), just to have as a back-up camera, in case it rains heavily on an assignement in July 12th to 15th, to cover the TSR 2014 in my hometown. The TCR is the "Tall Ships Races 2014" and brings about 50 of the biggest square-riggers (big old sailing ships) to my doorstep. https://twitter.com/TSRF2014 - Chances that it rains during this periode is about 35%. I am NOT looking to buy a whole new SYSTEM, just either the K-30 with 18-135mm WR-lens or the K-50 with the same lens. No more - no less.

Any suggestions?

BTW: Renting is out of the question as I will be mostly on a boat in the harbor, and chances that the camera will get damaged is big!

Best regards from Norway,
Walter
----------------------
https://twitter.com/WalterWalsch

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Jun 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:12 PM   #2

Hi, Walter. The K-50 is the latest in that series. I have the K-30 and really like it as my back-up camera. I also use it for my floral shots. It's a terrific little camera.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:22 PM   #3

Hi Gary - and thank you for your comment. But whats the difference between those two? There must be something...?

Walter
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Hi Gary - and thank you for your comment. But whats the difference between those two? There must be something...?

Walter
As far as I can tell from this chart (http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...cts=pentax_k30) There really isn't a whole lot of difference. The Pentax Forum reviews advise K-30 owners that the upgrade isn't worth it and to hang onto their K-30. Hope this helps.
My Gallery

--
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:52 PM   #5

Thanks again, Gary - Now, this is of great help!

Much obliged.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:50 PM   #6

From what I could find out in the side-by-side comparison, the only 2 things that differ between the K-30 and the newer K-50 are:
- K-50 has ISO 51000 (K-30 = 12 00). I must admit, I never had taken a picture with higher ISO than 1600 anyway, so 12800 should do nicely...
- K50 has - and THAT IS interesting!! - two different AF-systems. Quote:
  • Contrast Detect (sensor)
  • Phase Detect
while the K-30 (only) has Phase detect, as any other DSLR has.
Iow. The K-50 has so called hybrid-AF, which may or may not be a deal breaker.

Walter

-------------------------
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
From what I could find out in the side-by-side comparison, the only 2 things that differ between the K-30 and the newer K-50 are:
- K-50 has ISO 51000 (K-30 = 12 00). I must admit, I never had taken a picture with higher ISO than 1600 anyway, so 12800 should do nicely...
- K50 has - and THAT IS interesting!! - two different AF-systems. Quote:
  • Contrast Detect (sensor)
  • Phase Detect
while the K-30 (only) has Phase detect, as any other DSLR has.
Iow. The K-50 has so called hybrid-AF, which may or may not be a deal breaker.

Walter

-------------------------
Just depends on if you want to spend the extra money or not.
My Gallery

--
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:21 PM   #8

Walter-

Lots of good advice already given. Just in case you need another comparison, try this link:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...c2=k50&c3=k20d

Just to confuse the issue further, I added into that comparison my camera, the K20D. Much older and not as advanced in function as the two models you are considering, but is weather sealed and has served me well. You can find these (used) at a much lower price than either of the newer models.

Also, and I'm sure you realize this, in order to fully benefit from the weather sealing, you'll need weather resistant lenses as well.

In any case, sure do hope you are happy with whichever model you choose, and that you'll post a few of your Pentax photos here!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:41 AM   #9

Thank you, mole, for the additional advise given her.
I am aware that a weather sealed camera needs to have a weather sealed lens as well to be fully splash-proofed. The choice (so far...) stands between the K-30 and the K-50 but with the 18-135mm WR, no matter which camera.

Walter

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:07 PM   #10

I have the K30 with the 18-135 lens, great combo. If you can save some $$ then go with the K30, I am not upgrading to a K50 as the 2 ameras are almost the same. I am thinking of upgrading my DAL 55-300 to the new W/Sealed DA 55-300 sometime in the future.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote