Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:01 PM   #11

G'day Patty et al

While Mtnman & Mole make good comments re- image quality etc regarding long-zoom lenses, Patty in her OP did say that she was planning a trip to Europe sometime soon ~ therefore to my mind, in comes size & weight issues for travelling

All airlines have weight limits on baggage - some smaller airlines limit each passenger to a total of 15kg / 32lbs ... and if you are weighted down with an SLR & multiple lenses, you will be travelling everywhere with the same set of underwear as you will have exceeded your allowance

So - it might be prudent to consider a 'travel lens' option for Patty as well as a 'back home again' set of options for her ongoing photo activities

Patty herself will know how much lens mm she needs from her current photo-taking activities ... will an 18-135 do or the 18-200 or the 18-250? How much %-wise images does Patty expect to be shooting at 200mm & above is the big question

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:05 PM   #12

Thanks for all the input. I haven't looked through the rest of my photos for last weekend yet. A lot ended up being taken in green mode. I forget what I can use to quickly go through my photos and see what mm I took my photos at. Any suggestions?

All very good points made here. I will take all into consideration.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
I forget what I can use to quickly go through my photos and see what mm I took my photos at. Any suggestions?
Patty - There are LOTS of free exif viewers out there. On my mac, I tend to use a free program called Xee, but it is mac-only. If I recall correctly, you use a Windows machine. If that's true, you might want to look into Exiftool GUI:
http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/

Also, another free windows program that I've found useful (it works on mac using something called "wine") is ExposurePlot. The program will read a folder of images, and then give you a graph of focal lengths used, as well as graphs of F-stops and shutter speeds used.
http://www.vandel.nl/exposureplot.html

PS - Here's a sample of what ExposurePlot can do:
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:36 PM   #14

Mole - your second option sounds great but only for jpg's. I try to shoot in raw any more. I'll look around though and see what I can find. I had something on my win xp computer, but can't find or remember what it was. I now have win 8. Will look around this weekend when I have more time.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:40 PM   #15

PhotoMe works for most RAW. It is a Windows program.
http://www.photome.de/
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:38 PM   #16

I'd forgotten I posted this. Too much going on at work right now. I do have photo me on the computer. But, didn't think I could tell quickly (like a summary report) what f stops I mostly shoot at. Maybe I can find time this weekend to play with it some more. Although I also have about a month of email to go through. :-(

Actually, with all my comp time I'm collecting I could buy whatever I want. Price will not be an issue.