Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:48 PM   #1

Default faster lens

LBA hitting again. It's been a while. Been thinking of getting something faster than what I have already. On phone right now. So will need to list later what I have.

Thinking of the Pentax 16-50, Tamron 17-50 or 28-75. I currently tend to grab my Pentax 18-55wr or 18-250 but find I miss some shots. Had seen the 18-135 but its same speeds as what I have.

What I photograph:
new grand baby and 6 year old very active
Landscapes (know I don't necessarily need speed for this)

I can go into more detail later. Just thought I'd start the conversation. Oh, and I'd been looking into 10-17 or 12-24 a while back. I love WA shots. Currently have Zenitar 16 that I'm very happy with. Just wanted some flexibility and a bit wider.

Anyway, any thoughts? I have K5 now and am happy with it. If K3 ever drops due to replacement I may upgrade. But, for the time being satisfied with the K5.

Thanks, Patty

P.s. We are planning a trip to Europe at some point now that my husband is retired. So also thinking something good for the trip as all-around maybe needing to crop.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
.... I currently tend to grab my Pentax 18-55wr or 18-250 but find I miss some shots. Had seen the 18-135 but its same speeds as what I have. ... P.s. We are planning a trip to Europe at some point now that my husband is retired. So also thinking something good for the trip as all-around maybe needing to crop....Thanks, Patty
Can't offer suggestions about basketball pics - but travel ...
For my money for a Europe [or elsewhere] trip, minimise lenses & weight > go with the 18-250 and notheing else, and really live it up photographically

ps- I am on the road for 8-9 months a year, so camera & lens size & weight issues are always critical to me
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:54 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Patty, I have a couple of fast lenses. But, candidly speaking, with the excellent hi-ISO capability of today's cameras, a fast lens is not that critical for low light situations. What I find using the "fast" lens most is for achieving nice and rich creamy backgrounds (bokeh) which make portraits really stand out. So, if you want to take some nice portraits of that grand baby, get a lens with the wide maximum aperture such as a 50 mm 1.8; for all others, I'd lean towards the 18-250 mm which ( as Phil above has said) is a compact, light, and versatile lens with decent IQ.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:33 PM   #4

I too am planing a trip to Europe in Sept. this year. My plan is to bring my Pentax Q7 with 02 Lens (23-70 equiv), 06 lens f2.8 (70-200), 01 lens f1.9 (37mm prime) and a 03 lens (fisheye) and my Canon P&S I plan to leave the DSLR's at home.

As for a fast lens I am with Wingman the 50mm f1.8 for the bokeh

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I did notice tonight that I was running ver 1.12 for software. So, I have upgraded to ver 1.16. Will take some more photos tomorrow and see if things improve.

Looking through the photos I took today of the older, more active, grandkids this one didn't come out too bad. But, I also got him to stop for a minute and was sitting right next to him. Normally when I zoom in on a photo like this (taken in shade, etc) it starts to get grainy real fast. I am shocked at this one from my past experience with trying to capture these kids. This was taken in .dng and nothing done to it but bring into PE, cropped down, resized to 800 dpi and converted to .jpg.

These were the settings used - f/4, 1/200 sec, ISO 800, AP mode, 29mm (on Tamron 18-250 lens), center weighted average, no flash.
Attached Images

Last edited by nhmom; Jul 4, 2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:45 PM   #6

Doesn't look as sharp as in PE. This one is through Zenfolio.

Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:56 PM   #7

Okay, this is an image I was disappointed in. He wasn't moving (at least much if he was, which is highly unusual for him. He hates his photo taken.) But, as I zoom into this one, it is just not clear like the other one where I was inches away from his brother. Settings on this one were f5.6, 1/5 sec, ISO 80, AP mode, 120mm (18-250 lens), CWA. He was probably standing 20 feet away from me. I was sitting on the porch stoop using my knees as a "tripod" for support. So, don't think I moved any. I realize this one was a much slower speed, but wouldn't the lower ISO have compensated for that?

Last edited by nhmom; Jul 4, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:21 AM   #8

Patty for a shot taken at 1/5 sec with a focal length of 180 mm I think you did quite well. The shot should have been at least 1/200 sec. and like Wingman said a higher ISO with the K5 should be fine. I can see a little subject or camera motion,

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:22 PM   #9

I have too many lenses, and I want to buy more, and you are hoping to streamline your selections. So, I am clearly not well qualified to comment on your questions. But of course, I won't let that stop me. I agree that the K5 does a splendid job at high ISO settings, so having fast lenses to deal with low light situations is not as critical as in the past. I have never used the 18-250, so I cannot comment on its virtues. I worry a bit about the huge zoom range -- in order to go from wide to telephoto, I assume the engineers had to make some compromises. But again, since I have never used that lens, my concerns may be completely invalid. I have the DA 18-135 and I really like that as a walking around lens. I am not a pixel-peeper, but to my eye the optics of the 18-135 are very good, and it focuses almost instantly. I would guess it would be ideal for taking photos of your fast-moving grandchildren. I also have the DA 55-300, and while I think the optics are superb, I find the focus speed to be painfully slow. I cannot begin to count the number of loon photos I missed because that lend takes so long to lock on its focus. My very inexpensive Sigma 70-300 APO DG, which does not have a very good reputation, always served me well. I found the optics to be very good, and the focus speed to be very fast. Sorry to say, that lens finally wore out after many years of hard use, but if my copy was typical, I never understood its poor reputation.
I also have both the DA* 16-50, and the DA* 50-135. They are both superb lenses: sharp, fast focusing, lovely bokeh, but the are also very heavy, bulky, and expensive. I love both those lenses, but I cannot recommend them for your upcoming trip (congrats, by the way!).
Sorry for all my rambling Patty. I hope my input was at least slightly helpful.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:35 PM   #10

Patty - so nice to see you posting again, and some fine-looking grandkids too!

I used to have the tamron 18-250, but finally gave it away because it was never very sharp unless stopped way down. Now I tend to use fixed focal length lenses for most landscapes & such - the DA 21 is a great one for wide views, the FA 50 macro for details...

But for grandkids, the Tamron 28-75 has served me very well. It's nice and sharp even wide open (more important on my K20d than on your K5), and seems the ideal focal length range for candid portraits, etc.

Just my 2 cents...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote