Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 PM   #1

Default Under the Milky Way

So I found myself in a very out-of-the-way place with very little artificial lighting while on a recent vacation. I could see the milky way faintly with my naked eye so I thought I'd take a stab at photographing it. I feel like I got the exposure all wrong cause I had to dial it up so far in Lightroom that the noise is plentiful...but I still think they came out decent for a first attempt!

IMGP5801 by CCampbell2, on Flickr

Untitled by CCampbell2, on Flickr
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:27 AM   #2

Untitled by CCampbell2, on Flickr

Milky Way and a passing plane.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:40 AM   #3

They look great to me! I keep saying I'm going to try shooting the stars but never quite get around to it. Did you try taking shorter multiple exposures and then stacking them? I more or less understand the concept, but have never tried it. One of these days...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:22 PM   #4

They look great to me, I checked your EXIF info from your flickr page and the exposure time listed was 20 I assume sec's. I also have not tried stars but it looks interesting. The K30 will stack multi exposures internally adding exposures or auto adjusting EV. I have used the feature to blur water while freezing buildings using auto adj EV, but if you uncheck the box it will add exposures thereby reducing noise.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:09 PM   #5

I agree with the above comments -- even with a bit of noise these images are fantastic.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:22 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments. I had no idea the K30 would do that. I wish I had. Yes, I went with about 20 seconds for most shots. It was a guess. I didn't know when I would start to get trails so I tried to stay reasonably low. Then I had to bump them up like crazy in light room to bring it all out. It was a first attempt and pretty much a complete guess.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:20 PM   #7

What great results, especially for a first attempt.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote