Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:35 PM   #11

Mole - if all goes well, there's a possibility you could see me in about 2 years, Tennessee is on my list of places to visit.

I find it harder and harder to focus the 24mm lens - it's easier for me to see the focus when something is really big in the viewfinder. I was at Pismo Beach today and some pictures I took with it were OOF.

Hans - I hear you about LR having it over ACAD. But really, CAD can be fun, or at least I used to think so. But they keep changing things, adding many more features and it's all beyond me now. I haven't really used it in probably 10 years, so I'll stick to my database until I retire, if I can.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:23 PM   #12

I am so glad to see that you are enjoying the K-S1, and it certainly looks fantastic in white with that silver lens. My primes are mostly large, the DA 14mm f2.8 is huge, the 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.4 are FA lenses so they are not large but are not super compact either. I gave away my 18-55mm WR to a couple who have made me feel at home here in Baker Lake (attached to the low mileage *istDS I recently acquired, they love it), and my sharpest zoom is (unlikely as it may sound) an old FA 28-70mm f4 I bought used for $70Can at Henry's used outlet store in Toronto.

The images you posted look marvelous on my screen, that K-S1 is typical Pentax, offer far more features than most everyone else but don't make a big deal of them, false modesty.

Well, I am hoping to get a K5 soon, as usual I am two generations behind but still very happy with my Pentax gear.

Glad to hear that you will be posting more often again, it inspires me to be more active here as well. It is still the friendliest forum I have ever been a part of.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Nov 14, 2014 at 9:18 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:12 PM   #13

Congratulations on the "accidental" purchase Harriet. I'm happy that the K-S1 is allowing you to extend your enjoyment of photography. I own all of the DA Limited primes. The 21 seems to get the lowest ratings in formal reviews but, like many others who own the DA Limiteds, it has become my favorite. If the FA Limiteds ever become too heavy for you, I'd recommend swapping them for equivalent DA Limiteds.

Like you, I haven't posted much here lately. A busy life has gobbled up most of my time and energy. But I've been lurking and am happy to see you posting again.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:56 PM   #14

Ira, you will really like the K5, I found it a big upgrade from the K7.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Ira, you will really like the K5, I found it a big upgrade from the K7.
I am looking forward to the upgrade. I plan on retiring the K20D to backup status, taking the K7 with me to Baker Lake (wouldn't want to subject the K5 to that abuse right away) and then next summer Annette and I will be exploring NB and I will be giving the K5 a real workout.

The K5 seems to be the first Pentax camera to truly compete strongly with the best from CaNikon. I borrowed a Nikon D7000 a couple of summers ago so I already have a taste for the image quality of that sensor, and I like the feel and build quality of the K7 better than that Nikon so with the K5 I get the best of both worlds.

Meanwhile Pentax certainly has produced some cool looking models that still have performance (not just fashion statements), and that K-S1 with the Limited prime is certainly a looker with performance to match.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses