Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:54 PM   #1

Default Ooops and how to solve a problem

Math problem:

a+b=c
Where:
a does not equal "be careful what you wish for."
b does not equal "be careful of Amazon 1-click."
What does c equal?

I haven't been around in months, partly because I have little time and partly because I haven't been taking many pictures - I've been trying to deal with nerve issues in my arms that have made using the K3 painful. Several weeks ago I spent an evening taking photos of ballroom dancing and by the end was in enough pain that I knew something had to be done, I couldn't keep trying to use the heavy K3.

I dusted off the K100 and decided to see if something that light would make a difference. It was wonderful, so much fun. Then I saw something about the new K-S1 and decided to check it out, though it wasn't a camera that would otherwise appeal to me, I thought. I used my iPad one day at work to check out prices (just curious), looking first at the prices at Adorama and B&H (both the same) and finally at Amazon (more expensive and doesn't come with the FLU card that the 2 New York stores offered). When I was looking all this up, I was at work and it was about 15 minutes before lunch break. I felt that the blue one was calling my name, I really liked it when I saw it on B&H's site. But after thinking about it for a while, I decided not to rush into anything and wait for Black Friday. When I went to Amazon (using their mobile app) I just pulled up the first one to check prices - it happened to be for a white one. At that moment someone came into my office so I quickly put the iPad away, fumbling a bit, a not thinking anything more about it.

That evening I checked my email and was very surprised to see an email from Amazon saying "Thank you for your order." Oooops - I had Amazon's 1-click turned on and must have accidentally pushed that button as I put the iPad away. I tried to cancel the order, but it was too late.

After sleeping on it and then comparing the blue with the white, I decided the white looked pretty good. I could always return it but wasn't that testing fate a little too much? By the time the camera arrived 2 days later, I couldn't wait to try it out.

One of my first photos is quite often an old coffee cup. I wish I had used this subject for every camera and lens I have bought over the years, it would have been fun to see how it has aged during the 20 plus years I've owned it.

The first weekend I had the camera I stopped by the Harvey House in Barstow. It has lovely architecture and there's a railroad museum with a number of rail cars outside. It's a good stopping place between LA and Vegas. Taken with the SMC 24mm f2.8. The K-S1 had no trouble metering using the green button. At least 1 or more dSLR cameras I have had would over-expose with this lens.

Taken with the heaviest lens I am going to use for hand-held photography, the FA31:

I kept looking at my new camera, and decided that while it looked nice enough with black lenses (like a Panda Bear cub), it would look like a beautiful unicorn with a silver lens. Since the whole point of this camera was light-weight, and I didn't want to repeat any of the lenses I already owned, it came down to the FA 43 and the DA40. I knew if I got the FA43 I would immediately want to replace the 31 and 77 with silver versions, so I ordered the DA40 - I don't have any of the DA Limited lenses other than the 35 macro.

At the same time I decided that since I had already blown my budget out of the water, I might as well get the flash triggers I have wanted for a while. Flash has always been something I just don't seem to manage very well at all.

One of my first pictures with the K-S1, DA 40, a reflector and the flash triggers:

This was fun, think I'll enjoy exploring a new part of photography for me.

It really is quite small, here it is next to the K5 and DA 50-135 (taken with the K3 and FA 31):

The DA40 is really quite nice as a walk-around lens. I think it will be a good addition for me. It isn't going to replace anything I already have, though the focal length is close to some of my other lenses.

Today I decided to make sure that the camera works with the Flu card. The thing that makes sense to use when using an external shooting control is to have the camera on a tripod. If I'm going to use a tripod I might as well pull out the Vivitar Series One 105 macro lens and my macro rails. I was really impressed with the focus peaking on the iPad - I could really see it change as I adjusted the macro rails. Here's a picture made up of 12 separate pictures stacked using Zerene Stacker. The lens was set to 1:1.

I can never resist taking pictures of autumn color, so here's one that I saw while walking around the block yesterday:

My arms are doing quite well and photography is suddenly fun again. I don't feel like I'm constantly struggling with heavy weights that I can't really control, and I'm able to use longer shutter speeds again.

So my big mistake - accidentally ordering a camera I wasn't going to order - is turning out to be one of the best things I could have done. I should be hanging out here a little more often, though the new camera isn't going to help my time constraints any. But who cares, as long as I'm having fun!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:25 PM   #2

Great story -- thanks for sharing. It is all to easy to accidentally click the "buy now" button, or in a moment of weakness, to click the button intentionally without really thinking through the purchase. I'm very glad this mistake turned out well for you, and especially, that your arms are healing and photography has become fun again.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Math problem:

a+b=c
Where:
a does not equal "be careful what you wish for."
b does not equal "be careful of Amazon 1-click."
What does c equal?

I haven't been around in months, partly because I have little time and partly because I haven't been taking many pictures - I've been trying to deal with nerve issues in my arms that have made using the K3 painful. Several weeks ago I spent an evening taking photos of ballroom dancing and by the end was in enough pain that I knew something had to be done, I couldn't keep trying to use the heavy K3.

I dusted off the K100 and decided to see if something that light would make a difference. It was wonderful, so much fun. Then I saw something about the new K-S1 and decided to check it out, though it wasn't a camera that would otherwise appeal to me, I thought. I used my iPad one day at work to check out prices (just curious), looking first at the prices at Adorama and B&H (both the same) and finally at Amazon (more expensive and doesn't come with the FLU card that the 2 New York stores offered). When I was looking all this up, I was at work and it was about 15 minutes before lunch break. I felt that the blue one was calling my name, I really liked it when I saw it on B&H's site. But after thinking about it for a while, I decided not to rush into anything and wait for Black Friday. When I went to Amazon (using their mobile app) I just pulled up the first one to check prices - it happened to be for a white one. At that moment someone came into my office so I quickly put the iPad away, fumbling a bit, a not thinking anything more about it.

That evening I checked my email and was very surprised to see an email from Amazon saying "Thank you for your order." Oooops - I had Amazon's 1-click turned on and must have accidentally pushed that button as I put the iPad away. I tried to cancel the order, but it was too late.

After sleeping on it and then comparing the blue with the white, I decided the white looked pretty good. I could always return it but wasn't that testing fate a little too much? By the time the camera arrived 2 days later, I couldn't wait to try it out.

One of my first photos is quite often an old coffee cup. I wish I had used this subject for every camera and lens I have bought over the years, it would have been fun to see how it has aged during the 20 plus years I've owned it.

The first weekend I had the camera I stopped by the Harvey House in Barstow. It has lovely architecture and there's a railroad museum with a number of rail cars outside. It's a good stopping place between LA and Vegas. Taken with the SMC 24mm f2.8. The K-S1 had no trouble metering using the green button. At least 1 or more dSLR cameras I have had would over-expose with this lens.

Taken with the heaviest lens I am going to use for hand-held photography, the FA31:

I kept looking at my new camera, and decided that while it looked nice enough with black lenses (like a Panda Bear cub), it would look like a beautiful unicorn with a silver lens. Since the whole point of this camera was light-weight, and I didn't want to repeat any of the lenses I already owned, it came down to the FA 43 and the DA40. I knew if I got the FA43 I would immediately want to replace the 31 and 77 with silver versions, so I ordered the DA40 - I don't have any of the DA Limited lenses other than the 35 macro.

At the same time I decided that since I had already blown my budget out of the water, I might as well get the flash triggers I have wanted for a while. Flash has always been something I just don't seem to manage very well at all.

One of my first pictures with the K-S1, DA 40, a reflector and the flash triggers:

This was fun, think I'll enjoy exploring a new part of photography for me.

It really is quite small, here it is next to the K5 and DA 50-135 (taken with the K3 and FA 31):

The DA40 is really quite nice as a walk-around lens. I think it will be a good addition for me. It isn't going to replace anything I already have, though the focal length is close to some of my other lenses.

Today I decided to make sure that the camera works with the Flu card. The thing that makes sense to use when using an external shooting control is to have the camera on a tripod. If I'm going to use a tripod I might as well pull out the Vivitar Series One 105 macro lens and my macro rails. I was really impressed with the focus peaking on the iPad - I could really see it change as I adjusted the macro rails. Here's a picture made up of 12 separate pictures stacked using Zerene Stacker. The lens was set to 1:1.

I can never resist taking pictures of autumn color, so here's one that I saw while walking around the block yesterday:

My arms are doing quite well and photography is suddenly fun again. I don't feel like I'm constantly struggling with heavy weights that I can't really control, and I'm able to use longer shutter speeds again.

So my big mistake - accidentally ordering a camera I wasn't going to order - is turning out to be one of the best things I could have done. I should be hanging out here a little more often, though the new camera isn't going to help my time constraints any. But who cares, as long as I'm having fun!
Glad to see you posting again but sorry about your health situation. Took me a long time to buy a newer camera-was worried about the increased weight. Used the DS for 8 yrs-the K5-iis weighs @ least 33% more-makes for a long day. Hope you enjoy the new camera! BTW-I have owned the DA 40 Ltd for 3 yrs-U R going to love it!
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:15 AM   #4

Congrats on the new toy, hope you get better soon, and start posting again, we missed you

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:28 PM   #5

I worried about the extra weight when I bought the K10, but didn't even think about it after that. I have been really struggling with the weight of the K3 this year, I probably struggled to a certain extent with the K5, too, without realizing it. I was so surprised at the difference going back to the K100 made - and the K-S1 is even better as it fits my hands better.

I wasn't completely satisfied with the DA40 this past weekend - I didn't think it was focusing right at infinity, I thought the lens might be front-focusing a bit. I went looking in the manual to see if the K-S1 had the ability to fine-tune the focus adjustment. The first couple of places I looked didn't mention it, but I spotted it when I was looking through the custom menu options. That ability was a big thing when it was first introduced by Pentax on their top-of-the-line cameras. And here it is now, a somewhat obscure menu item in what some consider a "crippled, entry-level camera" that they turn up their noses at. I spent the morning adjusting the focus (I already knew the camera could produce cutting edge sharp photos) and think I have it dialed in right. I'll know better in a week or so after using it in a number of different situations.

Hans - I hope to be able to post more, now that things are improving. And it's more than likely going to be for only another 18 months that time will be an issue - I see retirement looming on the horizon for me.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:32 PM   #6

Great to see some of your wonderful photos again. My family and I will keep you in our prayers for complete recovery from the health problems.

Looks like that new "plastic fantastic" K-S1 is just right for you. Next lens you need to get for it is the DA 21 - another tiny lens that is perfect for those sweeping landscapes...
And then the DA 70 - absurdly small for its focal length, and such rich color and sharpness.

I've been playing around with some of the M lenses lately - amazingly small considering their focal length, and capable of some great color and detail. Also most are quite inexpensive...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:52 PM   #7

Mole, you are a bad influence! I've thought about the 21 since it also comes in silver. But I do have that old 24 lens, and it's hardly been used. I bought it new and hated it, I had no understanding of wide angle. Now that it isn't quite so wide I really like it. I've thought about the 15, too - it would offer me something I don't have a close cousin to. The only things I have close to that are either big or a fisheye zoom.

I won't get the 70 since I already have the wonderful 77. And don't think I haven't thought about buying another one in silver! I just love that lens.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Mole, you are a bad influence!
(sounds like something my wife might have said to me when our children were younger!!!)

Quote:
I've thought about the 15, too - it would offer me something I don't have a close cousin to.
Well, if you are ever here in East Tennessee and want to borrow my DA 15, just let me know!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:04 AM   #9

I have the DA 15, 21, 40, & 70-the 21 is the one I use the most when I use a prime.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:

Hans - I hope to be able to post more, now that things are improving. And it's more than likely going to be for only another 18 months that time will be an issue - I see retirement looming on the horizon for me.
You will love retirement, except the fixed income part of it, I still spend time in front of a computer but now it in Lightroom instead of ACAD

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote