Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:46 PM   #11

Thanks all for you input and advice.

Brio, coincidentally I decided today to not agonize over this decision, and came to the same conclusion - the K30 is not worth spending over $200 on. Someone on the other forum had the same problem (under warranty), and he has been waiting over a month for a new aperture control block, so those repairs might exceed $200.

I checked prices where I normally buy and ordered a K5iis a few hours ago for $489 (buydig.com).

Have you had any issues with your images as a result of not having the AA filter on the K5iis?
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:01 PM   #12

Congratulations on your purchase. I think you'll love the K-5 IIs.

I've not experienced any serious issues in my images as a result of having no AA filter. Mild moire can pop up occasionally in certain patterns on clothes or furniture fabric. I haven't seen much of anything in landscape shots - although people tell me there can be mild false color patterns. If you shoot raw and post process, removal of moire can be easy in programs like Lightroom.

On the upside, image resolution looks higher than the same 16mp you get in the K-5, K-30, etc. And things look just a bit sharper as well.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:41 PM   #13

I now have 2 cameras without an AA filter (K3 and K-S1) and have only noticed moire on one shirt and it was easily corrected by Lightroom (or DxO - don't remember which program I was using at the time). But I don't shoot a lot of people. I love having the extra detail and crispness you get without it, it's wonderful for the type of stuff I photograph mostly, and I wouldn't want to go back to using a camera with one.

You should love the K5IIs - I skipped it because I didn't think it was a big enough difference from my original K5. Knowing what I know now, I'm almost sorry I didn't buy one (though then I wouldn't have bought the K3 and there's a number of things I really like about it, too).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:56 AM   #14

The K5iis arrived this morning. I ordered it Friday about noon, and it arrived at 9:00 am this morning, free shipping too! Buydig has always given me great service.

Battery is charging, I'll try to post some samples later.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:33 PM   #15

Congratulations on the new camera, and sorry to hear about the problem with the old one. I guess you can still use the K30 with K-series lenses...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote