Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:20 PM   #1

Default Please Help, K30 problem.

I have been away from photography and this forum for a long time. But today I pulled out my K30 which had sat unused for a few months. I charged the battery and took a few shots.

No matter what I do each photo comes out very dark. Almost black, just a slight shadow of the subject. Tried different modes, Auto, P, A, M, etc. same result. Even with the pop up flash or my 360FGZ flash, each shot is dark/black. I tried two different lenses, same result. Those same lenses work fine on my K20. I cleaned the sensor (blower), cleaned the lens contacts, updated the firmware to latest version, reset the custom settings to default.

Strange thing is that it seems to work fine in Live View, but I don't like using Live View. I haven't tried video yet. The camera is about 1.5 to 2 years old, not too many shutter activations on it, and always worked fine up until today. I thought if it works in Live View (the mirror is up in Live View?) then maybe the mirror isn't going up, but I took the lens off and pushed shutter release in M mode and mirror does in fact go up.

Anyone else have this problem?
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:46 PM   #2

Update>
It seems like the camera is not activating the lens aperture correctly. I put an old 50mm SMC-A F2.0 lens on, enabled the aperture ring and took a shot at F2.0 in AV mode. That shot came out perfect. When I put that lens ring on the A setting I get dark black photos.

When using the ring set to F2.0 and looking into the lens at shutter release I can see the aperture open all the way. When I set the ring to A and use Av mode set to F2.0 the aperture only opens to it's min (F22). So it looks like no matter what mode I'm in the camera is not communicating with the lens for aperture control, all shots are taken at the highest (smallest) aperture, thus black photos.

Is there a fix, or does this need to go for repair?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:00 PM   #3

In manual mode with the lens set to A do you have the correct aperture options for that lens, if it is an f2 to f22 lens do you have those apertures available in the menu if not then the contacts on the lens flange are dirty or shorted.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
In manual mode with the lens set to A do you have the correct aperture options for that lens, if it is an f2 to f22 lens do you have those apertures available in the menu if not then the contacts on the lens flange are dirty or shorted.
I tested in Av mode (not M) with the lens aperture ring set to 'A' and using the camera display I was able to select any F stop from F2 to F22. But regardless of which F stop selected the lens only opened to the minimum opening (F22) when taking a photo. I looked into the lens at shutter release and could see that the blades only opened to the minimum. I assume it will behave the same in M mode, but I'll give it a try tomorrow. I get black photos with every lens (3) I have tried on the K30, while they all work fine on my K20.

I think I will try cleaning the contacts again, just the same. But my understanding of the contacts on the lens is merely to tell the camera what the aperture range is on that lens, correct? They aren't necessarily used by the camera to communicate to the lens which F stop has been selected. I have no idea how or where that communication link is made between the camera and the lens.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:51 AM   #5

In the mirror box on the left (when looking from the camera front lens removed) is a lever that travels up when the shutter is released. That is what moves the lever on the lens to open the aperture to the correct opening. I have read in some cases the lever on the lens gets bent and does not lineup with the lever in the camera and can cause what you are seeing. But I don't think all your lenses are at fault because they work on your other body. So it must be the cameras actuator but you say it works in Live View?? Does your cameras actuator move up when the shutter is released? I have a K30 and that is what I am looking at (image is a K2000)
Attached Images

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Dec 18, 2014 at 8:53 AM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:40 AM   #6

This seems to be a somewhat common problem on this model. There are a few threads on it over at the DPR forum but I can't remember what the issue was called so can't help you find them. IIRC the upshot was that you'll have to send the camera in for servicing if you want it to work correctly.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:01 PM   #7

Thanks all for your responses.

That lever that trips the lens aperture is working. It moves the same as my other Pentax K20. But it appears that it only opens the aperture blades to the minimum opening, regardless of what the camera is set for.

I did more diligent testing, in Live View the photos are also severely underexposed, but to a lesser degree than normal shooting modes.

Yes, the other forum responses indicated that this has been a repeat problem reported for the K30.

My warranty is up but with very few shutter actuations (5,200). Pentax support told me to send it to Precision Camera Repair; minimum of $206.00 for any repair plus more if parts exceed their minimum charge.

This is really annoying, only 5,200 shots taken, and it fails.

For $450 I could get a new K50, but is this model suspect for the same problem?

I looked for the K5 II but everyone seems sold out. There are really low prices on the K5 IIs (no anti-aliasing filter). Why? Does it have something to do with it not having that Anit-Aliasing filter?

I want a replacement, but I'm not sure if I should go for the K50, K5IIs, or the new K-S1.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:25 PM   #8
csa

Since the K5IIs is now being discontinued, it might end up being difficult to find, as well.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:31 PM   #9

Default K5 iis

B&H now has it for $496 which is a deal. Bought mine in Oct-still learning the camera-always used my Ist DS-but wouldn't hesitate @ this price-must be a close out
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:25 PM   #10

Yes, the current low prices on the K-5 IIs are because the model has now been officially discontinued. There is no doubt in my mind that the K-5 IIs is more rugged than either the K-30 or K-50. I can't speak to the K-S1 but consider this: The K-5 IIs was Pentax's flagship APS-C camera until the K-3 came out. The K-30, K-50 and K-S1 are all considered mid-line cameras.

My advice to the OP: Unless you require a very lightweight DSLR (in that case the K-S1 might be the way to go), I'd buy a K-5 IIs for $496 on closeout long before I'd buy any of the other cameras on your list - and long before I'd pay over $200 to fix the K-30. B&H, Adorama and Amazon.com all have it available as of today. But don't wait long - supplies aren't going to last.

Full disclosure: I have both a K-5 and a K-5 IIs and used to own a K-30 and a K200D.

Last edited by Biro; Dec 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote