Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:55 PM   #11

I just love your aquarium shots!..the jellyfish are just too cool...How lucky you are to have such opportunity for some great subjects.
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2014, 10:08 PM   #12

Thanks for the compliments! DMJJR - I ended up buying a Nikon flash from KEH and a third V5 trigger. It just occurred to me that I'll need to buy another softbox for the new flash. It sounds like a trip to a camera store is in order - wonder what other flash accessories I can find that would be fun and useful?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:45 PM   #13

Welcome back mtngal. Your love of photography was missed. As you know, I've shot the aquarium many times. The side shot of the jelly fish with the people looking in was brilliant. I will try it. The sunfish at the big tank is a tough shot. Well done.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:11 PM   #14

Thanks! I had less trouble with the sunfish than I had expected, the K-S1 is fairly forgiving when it comes to bringing out details in the shadows, and the fish just hung there for quite a while - it was as interested in the boys as they were in him. It was neat to watch the interaction.

I was really delighted with the dark, transparent jelly fish - I've had trouble getting the camera to focus in the past. The side shot just presented itself to me and I took advantage of the guy who was posing for his friend. I also took a picture of the crowd in silhouette but thought this one a much better picture.

I left fairly early in the afternoon - it got so crowded that I couldn't move without tripping over someone and it was difficult to get close enough to anything to take photos so I left. I'd like to return but in the mid-week, so it might not be so crowded.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:24 PM   #15

Harriet, Glad to see you back and feeling better. You still show that great eye for subject selection and composition. These shots are great - not easy to get in that crowded place..

I had pretty much left my larger and heavier Pentaxes unused lately in favor of Sony's smaller and lighter fold out viewscreens and digital EVFs, but the KS1's smaller size and lighter weight coupled with your experiences and enthusiasm encouraged me to try one, much to my wife's displeasure ("What, ANOTHER camera?"). At my advanced age, every ounce matters. Besides, good K-mount lenses were languishing unused. Amazon has some really low Holiday mark-down prices on the black and white bodies, so I went for one. I was originally going for white, but decided on black as being less conspicuous and therefor less distracting for the subjects. It is to be delivered today.

In case anyone is interested, their prices on the more prosaic but functionally very similar K-50 are even lower.

Last edited by penolta; Dec 28, 2014 at 1:38 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:56 PM   #16

Hi, penolta! Hope you'll enjoy the K-S1 as much as I do.

I know what you mean about every ounce being important - this time last year I was enjoying a new DA 16-50 on the K3. Now I'm using 4 new lenses, all of which are smaller and lighter than pretty much any of the lenses I've used on a regular basis before. I'm also delighted that I kept the DA 35 macro after I bought the FA31, I'm using it more now.

I decided that it didn't make sense for me to go mirror less - while I enjoyed the Q, I missed an optical viewfinder. The S1 is a great compromise for me, and I'm not particularly missing any of the features it doesn't have.

I'll be interested in your opinion and experience with it.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:31 PM   #17

Sue, do you still have the K-3 and 16-50? If they've become too heavy for you, I'd recommend selling them and using the cash for more lenses or gear for your K-S1, which has really turned out to be exactly what the doctor ordered for you. This story has turned out very well
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:47 AM   #18

I haven't sold anything, I still like shooting in the snow. As long as I don't try to use the K3 for any length of time or with slower shutter speeds, I'm ok. I love the 16-50, 50-135 (even if it is decentered now and needs repair), DA200, DA300, and Viv S1 105 macro. I don't use them much now though. I won't sell the WR lenses, but I've thought of selling the Viv since the DFA 100 I bought is the WR version. I need to use it more to really decide.

There's only one lens at the moment I want, but I seriously don't need it, and that's the FA43.

I should pull out my A*300 to see if it would work for me on the S1. And there's always the 55-300, I'm pretty sure I could manage it. But after shooting with * and Ltd lenses, it usually leaves me wanting a little bit more.

As far as projects/learning goes, I've started reading the strobist and finally trying out flash. I've bought cactus v5 triggers and a second flash (still to come) and can use either camera on a tripod. There's lots of little flash things I can get, but most isn't that expensive and I can spread out the purchases over time.

My lens collection is now pretty complete, consisting of:

DA 10-17, DA12-24, DA15, DA16-50, DA21, K24 f2.8, FA31, DA35 macro, DA 40, M50 f1.7, M50 f1.4, DA50-135, DA55-300, FA77, DFA100WR, Vivitar 105 macro, DA200, A300, DA300, AFA1.7, and some misc. lenses from film days that have some issue with them.

I'd really like to have add a FA43. And I'd have fun with a Raynox, perhaps. Maybe a ring flash, but I'm not really interested in one at the moment - need to spend time with regular flash first. I'm finally starting to understand the very basics, before I didn't grasp anything and my eyes fogged over/mind went into neutral when I heard/read anything about it.