Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:42 PM   #1

Default New Equipment and a Weekend Getaway

I've been having such a great time with my new camera and lenses! Last weekend I did a getaway weekend, drove up to Monterey on Friday and visited the aquarium there. I was really delighted with so many of my pictures, I had more keepers than I've had in the past. I used the 21 and 15 mostly, with a few taken with the 35 macro. I also went birding with the DFA 100WR, another lens I finally bought when I found I couldn't shoot with the Viv S1 105 for more than a couple of minutes. I've been having so much fun with the 15 that I haven't really done much with macro yet.

It was nice to wake up, look out at an unexpected white world and be able to go back to sleep, for once. I delayed leaving until things had settled down a bit. Here's the view of the main road in my area as I was leaving. K-S1 & DA 15:

And a picture taken not far from where I stayed. K-S1 & DA40, 2 frame stitched panorama:

The aquarium had a locals free admission day, and the line got long even before they opened the doors. I immediately headed to my favorite exhibit, the jelly fish. K-S1 & DA 35 macro:

K-S1 & DA 21:

Some jelly fish are really tiny. I've never been able to get a camera to focus on these before, I was very pleased that it worked this time. K-S1 & DA 21:

They can be quite colorful, too. K-S1 & DA 21:

Or very graceful. K-S1 & DA 21:

Or ghostly. K-S1 & DA 35 macro:

It seems like the displays go and on. K-S1 & DA 15:

I did take pictures of other fish, it wasn't all jelly fish, even though they are my favorite. Here this fish was as interested in the boys as they were in it. K-S1 & DA 21:

The aquarium has an aviary with local shorebirds in it. You didn't need a long lens to get a picture of them, so here's my bird picture - taken with the 100WR:

I ended up not using the FA 31 or 77 at all - I needed the close focusing abilities of the DA limited lenses. I had a great time until it got too crowded to move and I kept stepping on other people.

I may not have meant to buy the K-S1 when I did, and I definitely paid more than I should have (the price has dropped down to a more appropriate amount) but that's OK - it's gotten me out taking pictures again. And it's all fun again.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 PM   #2

Great series! The Ltd lenses are in a class all their own. I have the 15, 21, 40, & 70-ultimate in imaging. Happy to hear you are shooting again-your Lower Antelope Canyon shots are still the best I have ever seen!
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:10 AM   #3

Fantastic Series

Happy Christmas Harriet

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:33 AM   #4

Nice to see your shots again, I like the series especially the second shot, nicely done

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:01 PM   #5

DMJJR - I'm surprised you remember my Antelope Canyon photos, that was like 3 or 4 years ago! I had a great time there and would love to go back one of these days. Most of my shots were taken with the DA 10-17 fisheye and were often HDR since the dynamic range is so great.

I decided not to get the 70, since I have the FA 77 Ltd. But then, owning the FA31 didn't stop me from buying the 21 and 40 - but I bought them because of their small size more than anything else.

Rodney - Than you and Merry Christmas to you, too!

Hans - thanks also. If I get some more time I may post some of the miscellaneous shots I've taken. They aren't as spectacular as the jelly fish, but I've been really impressed with the results I'm getting.

This light-weight set-up is working well for me. I can fit everything in a relatively small bag or take along everything plus flash and triggers in the Lowepro Slingshot 200. I'm now thinking of buying a second inexpensive manual flash and another trigger for it. When I've been playing around I can see the need for a second light source. I used a reflector and it made enough of a difference that I'm convinced a second flash is a great idea. I bought one of my lenses from Adorama and have a little rebate I can use toward one. I'm thinking of the Pentax 200 flash, since it is on special for about as cheap as I can get.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:07 AM   #6

So glad the light-weight set-up is working for you. It is certainly working with your talent as far as taking great photos. I really enjoyed the series. The aquarium shots are wonderful. I hope you and your family have a blessed Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pastorbbc/
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:10 AM   #7
csa

Beautiful series! That KS1 is really fabulous in your hands!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:39 PM   #8

So good to see some of your excellent photography again - and especially glad that the new, lighter kit is working so well for you!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:53 PM   #9

Thanks Mole, Carol and pastorbbc for the encouragement, I appreciate it!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:03 PM   #10

Default Flash

You might want to look on Ebay for a Metz AF 48-1. It is light and well made. Has a USB port for upgrading to the newer camera's. I have (2) of them-just upgraded them to the K5iis-installed the HSS feature which I am still exploring.
Uses P-TTL plus manual-menus are a little unusual but a fast learning curve.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote