Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:51 PM   #11

Hmmm, I don't know how active this Board is becaause it's my first time here. Sure hope it is because I'm in a canandrum.

I use to use, many moons ago, the Pentax SP and the ME. Since 1995 I've been using digital caameras but last week I went Digital SLR with the istD.

Now, here's my problem. I have a SMC Pentax Zoom 1:4/45~125 (5101974) which I would really like to use on the istD but Bill's post is too technical for me.My leses do not have an A setting. The camera switches on but I can't snap any shots.

Can anyone help PLEASE. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:31 AM   #12

Not a problem, there is a setting in the setting toenable picture taking if the setting is not on "A". I don't have the camera with me right now but it's in the user setting menu. I have a couple of lenses without the "A" function and it works like a charm on my *istDS.

Hope that helps
alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:38 AM   #13

Thanks for taking time out to reply. Just found out the answer, same as yours, from being persistant and reading all the threads here.

I'm happy for now. Thanks again.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:59 AM   #14

I have been using a Spotmatic II since 1973 and love it dearly. I am considering a DSLR and the 1stDS looks promising. I have several screw-mount lenses and need to know what I would have to buy to use them with the 1st DS.

One is my venerable Vivitar 75-205 manual zoom. It has an "A" setting so I expect I could use an adapter, but what kind or model and where do I get it?

The other is a Tamron 28-70. It has no "A" setting. It already uses an adapter for the screw mount on the camera. Would it use the same adapter as the Vivitar, or another one?

I also have a Pentax 67 II medium format, a Pentax S40, Canon AE1, Canon G1 (junk!) and a couple of older 35's.
wayncmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:05 AM   #15

Pentax K to M42 (Pentax Screw Mount) Adapter - allows you to mount a screw mount lens on a K-mount body.
Should be available from any Pentax supplier.
mickie bitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:15 AM   #16

Thanks. That helps.

Next question - does the *st DS have an analog exposure bar or other metering visible in the viewfinder? I like using the Spotmatic and 67II because it is easy to see whether I'm over- or under-exposed in the viewfinder. I don't use my Canon AE1 much anymore because I have to tip the camera up to see the aperture ring setting. The images on the review pages look like the *st DS doesn't have the analog exposure in the viewfinder.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:04 PM   #17

With a screw mount lens attached and the camera in the manual exposure mode, the exposure is displayed in the viewfinder as a numerical value from -3 to +3 (stops) in .5 stop increments. A reading of 0.0 would indicate proper exposure.

Hope this helps, Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:03 AM   #18

Thanks. That really helps.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 5:14 PM   #19

I bought a *ist DS a couple of weeks ago and have been pretty happy with it so far. One of the reasons that I bought it was to use old lenses that my wife and I already own. I gather this is a common benefit to this model.

I've read through all of the lens advice on this and other forums and cannot answer this question:

I have an old 135mm macro lens. It attaches to thecamerafine. It does not have an Auto switch, so I set the custom menu to "Use aperture ring." Once I did this, I was able to take pictures but with no aperture functionality at all. It stays wide open, even during the exposure,no matter where I set the aperture ring on the lens. Needless to say, this limits the functionality of the lens. Am I missing something?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. Mark.
MarkinA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:40 AM   #20

Here is a trick for all of you who uses old lenses without the "A"-position.

When you mount your old lenses, don't mount it all the way. Keep it approx. 1 cm from the "click".

Now your old lenses will work 100% in av-mode.

Regards

Nile

Nile is offline   Reply With Quote