Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:53 AM   #21

I really wouldnt advocate doing this:

Nile wrote:
Quote:
Here is a trick for all of you who uses old lenses without the "A"-position.

When you mount your old lenses, don't mount it all the way. Keep it approx. 1 cm from the "click".

Now your old lenses will work 100% in av-mode.

Regards

Nile

errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:21 AM   #22

DX6490 wrote:
Quote:
I am much interested in the 1stD as I have been using a K1000 and a ME Super for years. My only concern uis can I use my extensive collection of Pentax,Vivitar and Sigma manuel focus lenses? If no I will get a 300D.
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K_...ure_Bases.html

With the 300D, you can only use M42 screw mount lenses, as the aperture coupler of the K-mount has confict with the EOS mount, so that an adaptor will not work unless one has to dismantle the aperture coupler of the K-mount lens before the lens is put onto the K to EOS adaptor.

With M42 lens on the 300D, Av automatic metering is possible, and the results are unbelievably accurate! (I really can't explain why it is so accurate but it is actually much more accurate than the same lenses are put on any *ist D and DS cameras. I used Takumar lenses on the 300D for several times and the combo is really great!)

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:27 AM   #23

Why? It works.

Regards

Nile

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:

Nile wrote:
Quote:

When you mount your old lenses, don't mount it all the way. Keep it approx. 1 cm from the "click".

Regards

Nile

Nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:44 AM   #24

Nile wrote:
Quote:
Why? It works.

Regards

Nile

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:

Nile wrote:
Quote:

Regards

Nile
It works just because it will do stopped down metering all the time. The method is trying to avoid (wide) opening up the aperture blade by any magnitude against the set f-stop. Again, for why's that and what're stopped down and wide-open metering and how they work, see my following page:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K_...ure_Bases.html

To explain a bit more, since there is no Static "Aperture Coupler A" for the *ist D bodies' cripped K-mount, by doing the above, the camera will *always* assume that the current aperture for metering ambient light is the same as the one for actual picture taking. Thus, the suggested trick will work.

However, doing this is not necessary with *ist D firmware version 1.1 as there was already the option of stopped down metering in Manual mode by pressing the green button. The above trick is for when the firmware had not yet released and people wanted to use the old lenses, but then they took the risk of incorrect focus collimation plus dropping their lenses when they were loosen!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:46 PM   #25

I still find it more easy to handle the camera with this trick. I even know some who has drilled new holes in there lenses to lock them in the right positions.

I have never experienced problems withincorrect focus, but of course you should be careful not to drop your lenses, and be aware all of these tricks are at own risk.

There is also this trick (se image). I don't know if it will work, I can't get it to work???

Regards

Nile

Nile is offline   Reply With Quote