Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 1, 2004, 6:39 PM   #1

Default Can i use my old lenses

I am much interested in the 1stD as I have been using a K1000 and a ME Super for years. My only concern uis can I use my extensive collection of Pentax,Vivitar and Sigma manuel focus lenses? If no I will get a 300D.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:36 PM   #2

All your K-mount lenses will work on the *istD. If the lens has the "A" setting (KA mount) on the aperture ring then it is fully compatible with the metering of the camera and will work very well in all modes (P, AV, TV and M).

If the lens does not have the "A" setting they can be used but you will have to perform a metering step which closes down the diaphram to calculate the shutter speed. The camera must have 1.1 version of the firmware (available on Pentax's web site) and it must be set to M mode. You set the aperture ring as on the manual film cameras. To set the shutter speed you then press "the green button". You hit the shutter button to take the picture. This shutter speed is remembered so you do not have to repeat the exposure metering for every shot.

The *istD is a great camera and I think you would appreciate the greater control it has versus the 300D. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
snagglepuss31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 6:43 PM   #3

The following is an attempt to address some of the confusion there is about what lenses and flashes can be used with the *ist Digital body with firmware version 1.10. To check your firmware version press and hold the menu button, then turn on the camera the version number will be shown on the LCD screen. Please check for the latest firmware version at http://www.Pentax.com.

(Except as noted below this information applies to the *ist Date film body)

Lens Compatibility

PENTAX SMCP-DA, FA J, FA and F lenses (except the SMCP-FA and F Soft Focus lenses, for these lenses see separate section below). Note DA lenses are only useable on Pentax Digital SLR bodies, if used on 35mm bodies the image will not cover the full film area.

These lenses can be used in all exposure modes and with all metering patterns when the lens aperture ring is set to the A position (FA and F series only as the DA and FA J lenses have no aperture ring).

If the lens is set to an aperture ring position other than A the lens will not fire unless the custom function is set to allow the shutter to release with the lens at a position other than A.
See below for metering modes available with the aperture ring at a position other than A.

They can be used in Single, Continuous and Manual focusing modes.

PENTAX SMCP-A lenses

These lenses can be used in all exposure modes and with all metering patterns when the lens aperture ring is set to the A position.

If the lens is set to an aperture ring position other than A the camera will not fire unless the custom function is set to allow the shutter to release with the lens at a position other than A. With the aperture ring at a position other than A multi segment, center weighted and spot metering are available in aperture preferred mode at the widest lens aperture and in metered manual when the green button is pushed.

These lenses can be used in Manual focusing mode. Those lenses with a maximum aperture of F5.6 or wider can be used in Snap in Focus mode.

When a lens with a maximum aperture larger than F5.6 and the *ist Digital body is set to Single focus mode the camera will not fire unless the subject is in focus. You can with the shutter release held down either manually turn the focusing ring until the subject comes into focus at which point the camera will fire or pre–focus on a point and when the subject passes through the point the camera will fire.

The only metering modes that are available when a lens is set to an aperture other than A are metered manual at any aperture by pressing the green button and aperture preferred metering with the lens at its widest aperture, these modes are only available when the custom function is set to allow the camera to fire with the aperture ring at a position other than A. In aperture preferred metering it will only give a correct exposure when the lens is set wide open, that is to the largest aperture. When the lens is set to a smaller aperture the image will be under exposed, as the body cannot determine the working aperture.

PENTAX SMCP, SMCP-M, SMCP-FA Soft and SMCP-F Soft lenses

These lenses fall into two groups, those with an aperture that stays wide open except during the exposure and those that have an aperture that is always at the value set on the aperture ring. For both types the camera must have the custom function set to allow the camera to fire with the aperture at a position other than A.

When this is set with lenses that stop down only during the exposure the camera can be used in manual mode with metering by pressing the green button and aperture preferred mode (with metering only correct when the lens is set to its largest aperture). In manual mode when the green button is depressed the lens will stop down to the working aperture and the correct shutter speed for the aperture will be set.

When using lenses that are always at the working aperture the camera can be used in manual mode by pressing the green button and aperture preferred mode (with metering correct at all apertures).

In metered manual and aperture preferred metering both center weighted and spot metering are available, if the metering is set to multi segment metering the camera will use center weighted metering.

These lenses can be used in Manual focusing mode. Those lenses with an aperture of F5.6 or wider can be used in Snap in Focus mode. The SMCP-FA and F Soft focus lenses can be used in single, servo auto focusing modes and manual focusing mode.

When a lens with a maximum aperture larger than F5.6 and the *ist Digital body is set to Single focus mode the camera will not fire unless the subject is in focus. You can with the shutter release held down either manually turn the focusing ring until the subject comes into focus at which point the camera will fire or pre–focus on a point and when the subject passes through the point the camera will fire, note the subject must be in focus for 1/10 of a second before the shutter will release.

PENTAX SMC Takumar or Takumar lenses when used with a K mount lens adapter (Pentax product code 30120), also Asahiflex lenses with an Asahiflex to screw mount adapter and a K mount adapter.

The camera must have the custom function set to allow the camera to fire with the aperture at a position other than A.

The lens should be set to the M position, the camera can then be used in manual mode with the metering by pressing the green button and aperture preferred mode (with metering at all apertures). Metering in both center weighted and spot metering is available.

The lens must be focused manually.
PENTAX 645 and 67 lenses with optional adapter

The camera must have the custom function set to allow the camera to fire with the aperture at a position other than A.

The lens should be set to the desired aperture, in the case of 645 lenses the aperture ring should be set to a position other than A, the camera can then be used in manual mode with metering when the green button is pressed and aperture preferred mode (with metering at all apertures). Metering in both center weighted and spot metering is available.

These lenses can be used in Manual focusing mode. Those lenses with an aperture of F5.6 or wider can be used in Snap in Focus mode.

When a lens with a maximum aperture larger than F5.6 and the *ist Digital body is set to Single focus mode the camera will not fire unless the subject is in focus. You can with the shutter release held down either manually turn the focusing ring until the subject comes into focus at which point the camera will fire or pre–focus on a point and when the subject passes through the point the camera will fire.

Flash Compatibility

*ist Digital body flash compatibility

Program TTL flash metering with the built in flash and with the optional AF 360FGZ flash when used with SMCP DA, FA J, FA, F and A lenses.

Other Pentax TTL capable flashes will operate in TTL auto flash with all Pentax DA, FA J, FA, F, A, M and K mount lenses and with the appropriate adapter screw mount lenses, 645 and 67 lenses. For example the AF 200T from 1981 is usable in TTL auto flash with the *ist Digital and *ist Date bodies. If the lens does not have or is not set to A on the aperture ring the body must have the custom function set to all the shutter to release with the lens not set to A to allow pictures to be taken.

The built in flash will operate in TTL auto flash with any SMC Pentax, or SMC Pentax-M lens and with the appropriate adapter 645 and 67 lenses.

The built in flash will not fire if a screw mount lens is mounted on the body using the K mount adapter (code 30120) or if an Asahiflex lens with necessary adapters is used.

*ist Date Body Flash Compatibility

Program TTL flash metering with the optional AF 360FGZ flash when used with SMCP FA J, FA , F and A lenses.

Other Pentax TTL capable flashes will operate in TTL auto flash with all Pentax lenses 35mm bayonet mount lenses and with the appropriate adapter screw mount lenses, 645 and 67 lenses. For example the AF 200T from 1981 is usable in TTL auto flash with the *ist Digital and *ist Date bodies. If the lens does not have or is not set to A on the aperture ring the body must have the custom function set to all the shutter to release with the lens not set to A to allow pictures to be taken.

The built in flash will operate in TTL auto flash with any Pentax 35mm bayonet mount lens and with the appropriate adapter 645 and 67 lenses. When the lens is set to an aperture other than A the body must be set to the custom function that allows the shutter to open with the lens set to an aperture other than A.

The built in flash will not fire if a screw mount lens is mounted on the body using the K mount adapter (code 30120) or if an Asahiflex lens with necessary adapters is used.

I hope this answers your question.

Bill
Bill Gouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 7:26 PM   #4

DX, I went with the *ist D because I owned the K1000 and thought I could save money by using my old lenses. I could, but with limitations. Add 23 years to the lenses and they just weren't fun enough for my new toy. I spent just under $200 on ebay (sharperphoto user ID) for two zoom lenses that are pretty all-purpose, complete with caps and a camera bag.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 2:45 AM   #5

Have you updated the firmware on your camera to version 1.10 (or 1.11 so you can use the Remote Assistant software)? If not you might find it helps with the use of your older lenses.

Charles
Old Apr 6, 2004, 8:06 PM   #6

Bill, yes, I did this - but I found it still didn't do all I wanted it to - figured I'd spent all that money on the camera, I may as well go the extra mile and have it "be all it could be."
Old Apr 7, 2004, 2:18 AM   #7

Make sure you download the remote assistant software and try controling the camera from the computer, if you are using Windows that is the Mac version will not be out till latter this month.

Bill
Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:51 AM   #8

Wow - how on earth would that work? Would I need bluetooth or connect it via the cable that came with it?
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:46 AM   #9

You connect with the cable and you have control of the camera from your PC.

Bill
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:43 AM   #10

I have a K-mount Vivitar 75-200mm auto focus lens (f4.5-f32) which uses its own batteries (3 AAA's) so that it is not dependent on the circuitry of the camera. It has a continuous/single frame/AF Off switch, an auto focus/manual focus switch, and an auto focus activator button. Do you know how this would work with the *ist D?
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote