Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:09 PM   #1

Default High Key?

I thought I would try shooting a high-key type of product shot. This is definitely not my usual type of thing and I don't really know how to judge what's right or wrong. I thought this looked too over-the-top for my taste, but wanted to know what others think.

And one with the subject of the first picture.

There was a $100 discount on this lens right after Christmas, so I took advantage of it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it - if you notice, the first shot was taken with the DA40 Ltd. But I wanted it, got it for a good price, and it finishes the 3 amigos for me.

I do NOT need to buy anything more - all my Christmas money is gone and my budget has been blown to smithereens!

Photo bulletin boards can be hazardous to your pocketbook!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:39 AM   #2

I think a small crop at the top and bottom to get rid of the dark edge would help. I actually think for a true high key, the background needs blown at a tad bit more. I can still see a bit of texture there if I look close enough. But overall, I don't think it's too bad at all for a first try. High key isn't my style. I tend to prefer dark, low key images. But I appreciate it when it's done well, and I also think it's harder to accomplish nicely. So good job!
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:59 PM   #3

Will agree with Sumx that it's a very nice photo, that would probably be even better with no detail at all in the background.

Will be interested to hear your comparison of the DA 40 and the FA 43...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback - it's been so ingrained into me that you don't blow out all detail, that I was afraid to go that far (and yes, it definitely needs to be cropped top and bottom - was so fixated on the lighting and the box that I didn't look at the edges).

Mole - as far as comparisons go - the FA 43 is sharper but larger. I'm not sure if the difference in sharpness isn't due to the DA front focusing on my camera. I have it set to -10 (the most you can adjust it) but I'm not positive it's right. I've usually been testing it indoors in not the best lighting, and that could be a factor - while focusing today indoors with rather dim light, I noticed some front focusing with the 100WR. I haven't really used that lens enough yet to know if the lens is off or if the problem is with the camera in low light not being completely accurate.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote