Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:43 AM   #11

Three of my favorite backyard birds -- the titmice, chickadee, and nuthatch. We get just the titmice here in central Florida, and no chipmunks (they're much more entertaining than the squirrels).
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:00 AM   #12

Very nice captures Mole, what I really like is you never show any shots of the feeder, the real backgrounds make your shots special, nice Job

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:47 PM   #13
csa

Great shots! What lens were you using?

I also greatly enjoy watching the birds come in. This morning, barely breaking day; I was carrying out the feeders and two little nuthatches landed on the feeders to get an early start before I even hung them! I have a heated birdbath that also helps in bringing in the feathery friends.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:20 PM   #14

DMJJR - New camera is especially nice for these kinds of shots - High ISO without all the noise makes it easy to stop the action even in dimmer light. With K20D, anything above about ISO 640 was just too noisy. New body can handle 1000 easily, and probably higher, but have not tried any higher yet...

MacBook - So glad you enjoyed the feathered & furry friends! Did not realize that the chickadees, nuthatches and chipmunks don't venture down your way.

Hans - Thanks so much! I do try to make shots as natural as possible, although a concrete patio littered with sunflower seeds isn't all that natural...

Carol - Bird shots all with the Tokina 400. Squirrel & Chipmunk shots taken through the patio door with a Pentax M 200 - really nice little old lens, if you don't mind fully manual operation. Got it for $13.00 (Ugly grade, but looks fine to me) from KEH. By the way, has your Tokina 400 arrived yet? Will you be posting some photos with it soon?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
MacBook - So glad you enjoyed the feathered & furry friends! Did not realize that the chickadees, nuthatches and chipmunks don't venture down your way.
I am no expert, or even semi-expert, so take my comments in that context. What I meant is that I haven't seen some of these critters in my 31 years where I live in the Orlando area.

The white-breasted nuthatch seems to be confined to a small part of the most northern part of Florida, but not here.

I looked at a range map for the Carolina chickadee and it seems to be right about here, so they may be about. Our sunflower seed feeder attracts cardinals and titmice almost exclusively. The squirrels are interested, but the feeder is pretty squirrel-proof. They collect what falls on the ground.

Chipmunks are sighted around Florida, but they are not common, at least not in our neighborhood.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote