Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:34 PM   #1

Default January Challenge Sepia-Old Fashioned

Lyrics dog, snow, sun shoot took the December Challenge. A great shot you just had to be in the right place at the right time. This month, let's go with "Sepia Old Fashioned." Anything that exemplifies aged or old with sepia.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:50 AM   #2

As we are changing things up, what do you guys think about removing the ?"must be shot this month" requirement.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the votes and I like the new topic for January. I'm torn between as far as date of the shot. I like the idea of the 90 days, but some topics would be better served if there were more latitude. What does everyone else think?
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:18 PM   #4

I'm good with what anyone else decides. Maybe we contribute 2 shots for each contest. Two brackets. One can be an "all time" shot, the other within the month or 90 days and vote on our favorites for each category. That would allow me to contribute this street shot from Chicago from last spring.

Chicago-Polaroid by CCampbell2, on Flickr
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:50 PM   #5

I always thought the challenge was originally set up to provide a topic to shoot to for the month, a way of focusing thoughts and an incentive to try new things. One month it seemed no one had anything to post, so I was the one who extended it to the past 90 days - trying to keep in the original intent but allowing for more people to participate who might have shot something perfect in the recent past and they wouldn't have another opportunity to take again. Doing a month that's "best of 2014" is a great way of looking pack at what you've done for the past year, a way of reflecting on where you came from. It seems to me that's still within the intent of the challenge, to grow as a photographer.

If the topic becomes strictly a combing of past best photos to find one that fits the theme doesn't provide an incentive to try something new or practice skills one might have forgotten about. So it all comes down to what do we want our monthly challenge to be? That's something that might be better discussed in the other thread, but since sumx4182 brought it up, I thought I would respond.

And I really like his picture, too, by the way. An interesting combination of old and new. I also really like the topic, a great idea!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:06 PM   #6

I agree with mtngal . . seems better to keep it current photos i.e. within last 30 days. I also like the topic for this month.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pastorbbc/

Last edited by Pastorbbc; Jan 17, 2015 at 6:23 AM.
Pastorbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
And I really like his picture, too, by the way. An interesting combination of old and new.
Thanks. I was really happy with how the edit came out for being so quick. I liked the photo originally and wanted to do something fun with it. I liked the crop that I had but had to lose it in order to make the polaroid effect work well. I guess I could just crop from the left, but I didn't wanna lose the aspect ratio.

Chill by CCampbell2, on Flickr
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:09 AM   #8

Haven't been here in a while, duh! Anyway, decided this morning to see what's been going on and found this post. I like it with the 30 days limit. Makes you challenge yourself now and not just look through older photos. Not that I've taken that many lately to use. Anyway, my two cents worth and am hoping to get back here again and into taking photos.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:27 AM   #9

We had a bunch of hoarfrost at the end of the year..which transformed everything into a winter wonderland
Attached Images

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:06 AM   #10

I will start with this shot within the last 30 days and look around for something better
Attached Images

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Jan 18, 2015 at 9:17 AM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote