Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:14 AM   #1

Default Star Trails Tonight

It's close to the new moon and so the sky was darker tonight. I took several 10 minute-plus frames, used a remote since my table-top tripod isn't all that sturdy and then put them together in CS6. I thought this came out rather well, considering it was shot through a rather dirty window. You can tell my house is on a major flight path, too.

I decided to cut off the bottom of the frame, especially since this was one of the frames:

I set up the camera, used bulb mode, triggered the shutter with the wireless remote and then went downstairs to fix dinner. I periodically went back upstairs to stop 1 shot and start the next. Not sure I really needed to do that, but i did it anyway. I'm getting a bit better results.

Anyone have any suggestions to improve what I'm getting (other than not chimp any of the exposures I'm going to use - there's a small hole since I did chimp the first shot)?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:19 AM   #2

Looks cool, sorry I can't help never tried it but just looked at my K30 and it has a multi exposure mode that will auto EV compensation and will combine up to 9 shots up to 30 sec. exposure ea

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:32 AM   #3

I always love looking at your experiments and their results..gives me the inspiration to try new things..once it warms up abit..
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:56 PM   #4

those are great shots. I've never tried star trails but you inspire me to try.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pastorbbc/
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashka View Post
I always love looking at your experiments and their results..gives me the inspiration to try new things..once it warms up abit..
These were taken through a window, so I was nice and warm inside (and actually I was downstairs fixing and eating dinner while the camera was upstairs taking the pictures. Worked quite well, I think. These shots were 10 minutes each at least. It was fun, but I think the ones I took when the moon was up was interesting, too, because the far mountains had some detail in them. Maybe I'll try again when the moon is a quarter full and up early.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:07 PM   #6

Nice, Harriet. We tried some a few years ago, but the weather wouldn't cooperate. Should try again.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:37 PM   #7

G'day Harriet

I certainly enjoy reading about your adventures

My p-Kx does not like Bulb exposures, so I am very pleased to see that your does
[my Kx sensor washes out to nothing after 4-5 minutes exposure]

However my startrails with other hardware does come out beautifully using:-
iso-1000 @ f5,6 x 30sec per exposure x nn exposures over 30 to 90 minutes
and joining them all using Startrails.exe [from www,startrails.de] - a free bit of software and a delight to use

Like your image - I also like some ambient light around to give some visual 'body' to the scene, rather than it being "stars in a coal mine"

I usually start the exposures about 20 minutes after actual sundown and shoot up to 350 exposures, then eyeball them later to choose a starting exposure for the base image ... ie- if there's too much ambient light I go another 10 minutes into the collection of images and start from there, discarding the earlier, too-bright exposures

And letting the camera do its stuff while enjoying a good dinner + a glass of something nice is a great way to do startrails

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote