Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:37 AM   #1

Default viewfinder dirt - *ist DL

when i look through my viewfinder, i notice there is like "dirt" or something in the middle of the viewfinder.

i changed the lens to a different one and the "dirt" is still there so obviously it is not the lens.

how do i get rid of this?

do i need to bring it to a camera repair shop to clean it?

thanks for the feedback.
lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
when i look through my viewfinder, i notice there is like "dirt" or something in the middle of the viewfinder.

i changed the lens to a different one and the "dirt" is still there so obviously it is not the lens.

how do i get rid of this?

do i need to bring it to a camera repair shop to clean it?

thanks for the feedback.
I've had this problem a couple of times with the K100D, but have always managed to shift it with a hand squeeze blower, it can take several tries, so don't give up if you don't get an instant result. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
I've had this problem a couple of times with the K100D, but have always managed to shift it with a hand squeeze blower, it can take several tries, so don't give up if you don't get an instant result. ... Jack.
what was it? just dirt or lint?

how about using a blow dryer or would that be bad for it?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:25 PM   #4

A hand blower is better - a blow dryer can blow more dust into the viewfinder. I once had a DS with a huge amount of dust in the viewfinder, caused when I was snowshoeing and almost got blown over by a gust of wind (and did drop one of the lenses). It was my first dSLR and I just left the dust there because I didn't know how to blow it out. Later on I had a different camera and changed out the focus screen and discovered 2 things - just how easy it is to blow out the dust and how easy it is to scratch a focus screen. Get something like a Giottos Rocket Blower, they won't introduce extra dust or powder or anything else.

It could be either dust or lint, but I would guess it's dust.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
A hand blower is better - a blow dryer can blow more dust into the viewfinder. I once had a DS with a huge amount of dust in the viewfinder, caused when I was snowshoeing and almost got blown over by a gust of wind (and did drop one of the lenses). It was my first dSLR and I just left the dust there because I didn't know how to blow it out. Later on I had a different camera and changed out the focus screen and discovered 2 things - just how easy it is to blow out the dust and how easy it is to scratch a focus screen. Get something like a Giottos Rocket Blower, they won't introduce extra dust or powder or anything else.

It could be either dust or lint, but I would guess it's dust.
thank you for the feedback.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:56 PM   #6

Dust can get on the eyepiece of the viewfinder, and be easily removed with a blower. Sometimes the dust gets in to the camera body when changing lenses, and ends up on the bottom of the focus screen, and that is usually easy to remove, also. The worst case is when it gets on top of the focus screen, and the focus screen needs to be removed to clean it. This can be touchy, as the screens are VERY easily scratched, and can be damaged by liquid solvents as well.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
what was it? just dirt or lint?

how about using a blow dryer or would that be bad for it?
No idea whether lint or dust, just glad I was able to shift it. Stick with the hand blower, opinion goes that way 100%. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:58 AM   #8

Search for youtube on how to clean the mirror and screen, it's not hard

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:40 PM   #9

Just don't stress over it, dust in the viewfinder does not cause image problems, only sensor dust does that. I don't use a DL anymore but I do use a DS which is basically the same camera only even older. The DS has a bigger buffer and a pentaprism viewfinder which is why I keep it but the image quality is the same as the DL. BTW I always shoot RAW with these cameras and then process them in anything from the free Picasa program to ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) which came with Photoshop Elements.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses