Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 8, 2015, 4:02 PM   #1

Default K-5iis Focusing Problems

Please see the shot below-top was shot with K-5iis in RAW-untouched except converted to Jpeg. 2d shot was with my Ist DS-both cameras using the same lens-DA16-45. Have tried different lenses with similar results. Also tried focus adjustment-that was worse. Have tried Live View-no difference. Any ideas?
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2015, 5:56 PM   #2

G'day mate

Can you manually focus to get things 'perfect'?
ie- could the autofocus chip be out of alignment [factory repair]

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015, 7:10 PM   #3

Thanks-will try that
Old May 9, 2015, 11:37 PM   #4

While I hate shooting focus charts, they can come in handy here. The thing I notice in your picture is that I can't tell where the camera is as sharp as it should be, is the problem with focus or some other problem? Do you have SR turned off or on? On a tripod or hand-held? A focus chart will help determine if it's significantly front focusing or if something else is going on keeping the camera from producing sharp photos.

The reason I mention SR is because I was trying to see if I could manage a heavy lens without camera shake - it didn't look like it on my first try. Then I noticed the SR was off, turned it on and what a difference!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015, 12:10 AM   #5

SR turned on-shutter speed on K-5iis was 1/500 so camera shake unlikely
Old May 10, 2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Take a look at the big leaf on the left-this is what bothers me-notice the clarity & color-I want the K-5iis to be at least this good or it will be sold.
Old May 10, 2015, 2:11 PM   #7

WOW normally live view will eliminate focusing issues as far as poor focus adjustment is concerned because it uses contrast focus right on the sensor, I assume you are not in manual focus? seeing your past images I shouldn't even ask that. How does a .jpeg image look I have to sharpen all my RAW images.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; May 10, 2015 at 2:14 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015, 4:18 PM   #8

My first K20D showed a similar problem. I tried it with several lenses, manual and AF. Lika Harriet says about your picture, there was no focus in the pictures, neither front- or backfocus. Sent it in to the Swedish warranty repair shop, they sent it to Germany. An after som time I got a replacement camera. No explanation to what the problem was with the first one.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015, 4:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
WOW normally live view will eliminate focusing issues as far as poor focus adjustment is concerned because it uses contrast focus right on the sensor, I assume you are not in manual focus? seeing your past images I shouldn't even ask that. How does a .jpeg image look I have to sharpen all my RAW images.
So you have to sharpen all your RAW shots?
Seems like the camera should be doing more of the heavy lifting
Old May 10, 2015, 4:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
My first K20D showed a similar problem. I tried it with several lenses, manual and AF. Lika Harriet says about your picture, there was no focus in the pictures, neither front- or backfocus. Sent it in to the Swedish warranty repair shop, they sent it to Germany. An after som time I got a replacement camera. No explanation to what the problem was with the first one.

Kjell
Pentax has recently changed repair centers-now in RI-have asked if anyone has had any contact with them