Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:14 PM   #11

Thanks for the link.
That's more reasons to stay away from both.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:36 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Thanks for the link.
That's more reasons to stay away from both.
You lost me. Are you opposed to anything from Samsung or something?

As mentioned, the info I linked to did not quote any source. So, there is no way to tell for sure if Samsung components were used. But, because they're a huge manufacturer (with assets of something like $500 Billion USD, and employing several hundred thousand workers), it would not surprise me. After all, a digital camera is as much of a computer as a camera any more, with high speed ASICs for digital signal processing, RAM, interfaces to memory card storage, EEPROMs for firmware and settings, etc.

Heck, even though Apple and Samsung are fierce competitors in the smart phone arena, Apple still uses Samsung Processors in some of their products. You'll probably find the same thing to be true about many other products, since Samsung makes so many components modern consumer electronics could use (processors, memory, sensors, etc.).

You can't expect a camera manufacturer to be able to fabricate every component that is used in their cameras. Ditto for manufacturers of just about any modern consumer electronics product. They're going to be purchasing specialized components from other manufacturers (or at least subcontracting some of the manufacturer of components they've designed).

Actually, Samsung is one of the very few companies that actually has the ability to make virtually every part used in their own products. For example, their SSDs (Solid State Drives) use Samsung Controllers, Samsung RAM. Samsung NAND Flash chips, etc.). Yet, if you look at SSDs from other makers, they're using components from different makers (NAND Flash, Controllers, etc.). Even Intel is using third party components in most of its SSD products now.

But, even though Samsung makes CMOS Sensors, I think most of the Pentax models are using Sony sensors instead. So, that partnership may not have resulted in anything from Samsung in the cameras.

Also, since Pentax is located in Japan where some chip makers have plants, it seems more likely that they'd use Japanese based companies to fabricate any specialized components used in their cameras, versus getting them from a Korean maker like Samsung.

Again, there is no way to know what (if any) components in Pentax cameras were made by Samsung, unless you have access to insider info, since I haven't seen anything published that is quoting any reputable sources.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:43 PM   #13

Bouncing back and forth between other companies and the unknown exactly who actually makes these.
I just read another review and it was mentioned Ricoh owns Pentex.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:03 PM   #14

Yes, Pentax is owned by Ricoh now. As a camera maker only, it was too small to compete globally with the larger companies. Ricoh Imaging now owns the Pentax name and its manufacturing facilities, but is (so far) still using the Pentax name, unlike Sony, which bought out Minolta and changed the name over to Sony. Business is business, and it seems to make sense to somebody.
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote