Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:56 PM   #1

Default Olympus Zuiko 4/3 lenses

Anybody even tried to use some Olympus 4/3 (not OM) to a K-3?

I still have some very good 4/3 lenses and I'd like to know if I can use them?

Thanks!

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:26 PM   #2

I don' think you can adapt that direction.

You can go from PK to 4/3, but not the other way around.
BBbuilder467 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:39 AM   #3

Yeah ... so far, I found nothing ... and because of the sensor size ... it might not even work. I know it is possible to adapt the Olympus OM to the Pentax K but that doesn't help.

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 4:00 PM   #4

It has nothing to do with sensor size, but with the "flange focal distance", the distance between the lens mount and the sensor.

For Pentax K-mount it's 45.46 mm
For Olympus 4/3 it's 38.67 mm

Thus, you can put a Pentax lens on an Olympus body, if you use an adapter that protrudes 6.79 mm from the Olympus body. I don't know if such an adapter exists, but it probably does. The tricky part with making such an adapter is to make it to somehow transfer information from the lens to the body or vice versa, e g what aperture is chosen. To enable it to autofocus the lens is probably very difficult, if at all possible.
But to put an Olympus 4/3 lens on a Pentax K body would require an adapter that shortens the lens or moves the lens mount on the body inwards, and that is beyond the laws of physics. It can be made if you make an adapter with internal optics. Such adapters does exist for some brand-to-brand conversions, but they are ungainly and deteriorate image quality so they are very uncommon and not very popular at all amongst serious photographers.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
It has nothing to do with sensor size, but with the "flange focal distance", the distance between the lens mount and the sensor.

For Pentax K-mount it's 45.46 mm
For Olympus 4/3 it's 38.67 mm

Thus, you can put a Pentax lens on an Olympus body, if you use an adapter that protrudes 6.79 mm from the Olympus body. I don't know if such an adapter exists, but it probably does. The tricky part with making such an adapter is to make it to somehow transfer information from the lens to the body or vice versa, e g what aperture is chosen. To enable it to autofocus the lens is probably very difficult, if at all possible.
But to put an Olympus 4/3 lens on a Pentax K body would require an adapter that shortens the lens or moves the lens mount on the body inwards, and that is beyond the laws of physics. It can be made if you make an adapter with internal optics. Such adapters does exist for some brand-to-brand conversions, but they are ungainly and deteriorate image quality so they are very uncommon and not very popular at all amongst serious photographers.

Kjell
I wasn't aware of the shorter "flange" distance from the 4/3 lenses vs Pentax. Well ... Obviously there is nothing we can do about that

I am "testing" the K-3 tomorrow and if I buy it, it will become my main landscape / portrait camera (I expect the same kind of "feeling" than my late Olympus E-30 DSLR ... Just heavier and more sturdy).

Thanks for the information!