Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 26, 2016, 10:03 PM   #1

Default A Second Hobby for Me

I've been among the missing recently because I've been dealing with time issues (no surprise there) and a second hobby. That put photography on the back burner for a while.

This new hobby has helped a bit with my time management by cutting my commute in half. Here's my week-day home work area:

And my bedroom, with the fridge and freezer on the right, the kitchen is just beyond the fridge.

And here's my front patio, taken a couple of months ago.

So the time I've freed up has been learning about propane systems, grey and black water management, and imaginative ways of saving space and weight.

I haven't been taking many pictures, but in 3 weeks all of this will change. Toward the end of June I'll be leaving on a trip. So far I have reservations in Klamath Falls for a couple of nights, a wedding to go to on Babine Lake, northern B.C., then reservations at Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff, Radium Hot Springs, West Glacier and the Black Hills, South Dakota. I'm leaving South Dakota Aug. 2nd and don't have to be back in California until the first of September (I'm going to try to arrive home the Thursday before Labor Day weekend). I'll be bringing both of my hobbies with me, and I haven't made up my mind where to go after South Dakota - do I go south to Colorado Springs, Great Sand Dunes, Wolf Creek Pass and Mesa Verde? Or Cody, Coeur D'Laine, Washington, Oregon, northern California coasts? Or Cody, Flaming Gorge Recreation area, Vernal and Dinosaur National Monument, Capital Reef National Park, Bryce and then home? Or something else that I haven't thought of? Or will I be tired of towing a 21 foot trailer with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and just head straight back? Ah, the joys of retired life, the next 3 weeks will take forever!

At least I will be able to take LOTS of pictures, without being as rushed as I used to be when any trip was limited to 1 week of vacation.

In the meantime, I will not buy a K-1, it's too heavy. I will not buy a K-1, it's too big for my small hands. I will not buy a K-1, I have the K-S1, K100 and the K-3 and the last thing I need is another camera. I will not buy a K-1 because I'm getting my driveway paved with concrete and can't afford a camera I don't need. I will not buy a K-1 because I don't really need a FF camera, I'm happy with a crop sensor camera (mostly). I will not buy a K-1, I bought one Saturday 5 minutes after I handled one at a photography show.

Sigh.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2016, 5:14 PM   #2

Aw Geez MtnGal ...

What a terrible life you lead ...

Welcome to the 'retired traveller' club whether it's with a 5th-wheeler or a motorhome. Like you, we also have a terrible time deciding whether to go 'this way' or 'that way' ... whether to stop a while or stop a bit longer

For us in the great land Downunder, last year we 'only' did 26,000km in the 7-months of our major trip, with 9,000km in our 'minor' 3-month trip

I do like your 'office cum eatery cum whatever', and your patio is to die for as the old saying goes

Ah ... what a life
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016, 10:22 PM   #3

I can't wait to get started! I've had the trailer parked in an RV park halfway to work and have been living in it during the week since the end of January. I'm going to bring it home this weekend, I want to completely empty it, clean it and then repack for traveling.

The patio has an awning with LED lights and it's wonderful to sit outside and enjoy the night air. I do have to watch my weight though, my tow vehicle is a V6 Grand Cherokee.

I started a thread on the Lance Owners board about buying the K-1 and discovered there's 2 more Pentax shooters there. I thought that was fascinating, though perhaps not so unusual - Lance is a relatively small manufacturer who makes quality truck campers and trailers. I can see how it would attract people who appreciate such things, just like Pentax cameras.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:38 AM   #4

We have a Sunny Brooke, a 2008 Sunset Creek model, permanently installed in a trailer park at a very nice beach just 30 minutes from home. Looks great, enjoy.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old May 28, 2016, 8:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
We have a Sunny Brooke, a 2008 Sunset Creek model, permanently installed in a trailer park at a very nice beach just 30 minutes from home. Looks great, enjoy.
I would guess your trailer is a lot bigger than mine. I found there are not a lot of manufacturers who make small, well-built, light-weight travel trailers that can really be towed by an SUV. Most in the size category I was looking in were poorly made or else too heavy for a V6. My box is under 17' so the whole trailer is 21', hitch to bumper. There are a number of nice looking trailers that have 19' boxes, but I didn't want to go any longer than 21'.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:28 AM   #6

Nice to hear from you Harriet, Glad to see you heading for retirement, It's been great for me and my wife, I was also thinking about a travel trailer but settled on a small condo in Florida and a small boat here in Michigan. Prices were great down there when people were dumping condos so we couldn't resist. I have also been among the missing mostly because I am shoot several camera brands and my Pentax shots are mostly Wildlife and sports. I have also taken up crewing on my friends sail boat for races and that means one handed shooting. Nice to see you posting again.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016, 10:56 PM   #7

It's nice to see so many of us who've been hanging around here for a long time again.

Here's another picture of "Arthur" - my little trailer, parked in it's spot at the campground. It was very convenient to have it half-way between work and the house for the winter.

Old May 30, 2016, 6:26 PM   #8

Congratulations on your retirement, and on the new "retirement tools" (K-1 as well as camper). Now you just need to plan a long road trip to East Tennessee!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016, 11:08 PM   #9

Congratulations on your retirement-started mine in 2012-one of my best decisions-enjoy your trips-looking forward to seeing your excellent shots!
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016, 11:48 AM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Congratulations on the transition into retirement. I may be transitioning into that phase as well. My job moves to Michigan by April 2017 and I am eligible for retirement. So I opted to decline the move and will "retire" and take advantage of the severance package instead. Travel, flying lessons, and some part time work are in my future!

Even though I no longer use Pentax gear, I still stop by the Pentax forum to see what everyone is doing.

Looking forward to hearing of your adventures with Arthur!

Jehan
Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote