Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 31, 2016, 10:00 PM   #11

I like your turtles, about the only ones I see are the red-eared sliders people have abandoned in the botanical gardens stream area. There's a group of volunteers that take care of them. But I wouldn't call that "in the wild" like your shots are.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:33 PM   #12

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
It's been a great month for outdoor discovery here in the NE Tennessee State Parks, and I've had the pleasure of working with LOTS of park visitors out among the "critters." Here are a few samples of some of our discoveries.

We've seen many Eastern Box Turtles out roaming - it's their mating season. Here are a few views of a female. (Females have brownish eyes).

Super pictures Marty!

On a related note, Why are these called Turtles vs. Tortoises? I refer to them as Box Turtles myself but based on their land based habitat and "club" feet" aren't they tortoises?

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
I like the closeups Mole, Nice shooting
Hans - almost missed your post - Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I like your turtles, about the only ones I see are the red-eared sliders people have abandoned in the botanical gardens stream area. There's a group of volunteers that take care of them. But I wouldn't call that "in the wild" like your shots are.
There's a nearby city park called Steeles Creek Park over in Bristol TN that has plenty of those abandoned sliders. They seem to survive just fine in the park lake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Super pictures Marty!

On a related note, Why are these called Turtles vs. Tortoises? I refer to them as Box Turtles myself but based on their land based habitat and "club" feet" aren't they tortoises?

Jehan
Glad you enjoyed the snapshots! To answer your question, this gets into the taxonomy of turtles and their kin. But, according to the herpetological taxonomists, Box Turtles are not tortoises, but turtles.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote