Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:23 PM   #1

Default K-S1 as lightweight companion to K-3ii?

I have been using a micro four-thirds companion to my Pentax, but really don't want to keep up with two systems. On another Pentax forum, several shooters suggested a K-S1, because of its capabilities but relative light weight and smaller size. It is about nine ounces lighter and smaller than the K-3ii, and about five ounces lighter than the K-S2.

Anyone with experience and suggestions? I would be inclined to use it with smaller lenses, such as the 40mm Limited or 21mm Limited, or maybe the 18-50 lens that came with the K-S2 kit. The K-S1 and K-S2 have the same sensor, from everything I have read.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:49 AM   #2

I also use micro 4/3 and find that the smallest bodies are not very usable and the EP series and OM-D series of Olympus are almost as big and heavy as a K-S1. Pair the Pentax with a compact lens and I am sure it would make an excellent alternative.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:57 PM   #3

I have a K-S1 and used it exclusively when I had nerve damage in my left elbow. I couldn't comfortably use a K3 and a DA16-50 - my arm hurt significantly after a very short time trying to use it. I could continue shooting pictures with the K-S1. The ergonomics are different (not much of a grip), but it got me in the habit of holding a camera properly - left hand under the camera. That was a good habit to get into.

The K-S1 sensor is a bit noisier than some cameras, but not all that difficult to deal with. It's a great choice with the DA Limited lenses - I still don't own the DA70, but bought the 15, 21 and 40. I also bought the FA 100-300 f4.7 - it has good optics and a slightly lighter choice than the DA 55-300. It also played really well with the FA43.

While I haven't used it in a while, I should as it's an easy camera to handle. It does have different controls - only one wheel. But I found it very easy to adjust to, and in many ways prefer it as the camera is simpler to use (once you figure it out and get used to it).

I ended up selling the K3 and keeping the K-S1 when I bought the K1 (which already has more on the shutter than the K3 when I sold it!). That's pretty good for a camera that I accidentally bought on Amazon (One-touch got me, didn't even realize I had bought it until it was too late to cancel). I hadn't really meant to buy it, but by the time it came, I was pretty enthusiastic and when I first saw it, I knew I was going to keep it. It can fit (with one of the DA limiteds on it) in a large purse, if I want.

I haven't handled the K-S2 so don't know about the differences in handling capability.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:06 PM   #4

I tried the K-S1 and did not like the grip. It was not shaped well for my fingers, was not deep enough, and scrunched my fingers between the lens and grip.

After deciding to hold off, I saw a Like New K-01 for sale, and jumped at it. It turned out to be in almost new condition, with no apparent wear and a shutter count of 167. The boxiness of the camera works for my hands. The lack of a viewfinder means it will have somewhat limited utility, but it weighs just 2 grams more than the K-S1, handles much better (for me), and cost a lot less.

I decided to stay in micro four-thirds as well, as I sometimes find the small format simply more convenient and practical. Glad to have the choices.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:58 AM   #5

I also shoot M4/3 (the smallest one available Panasonic GM5) and love it. I am finding my K30 (soon to be replaced with a K70, I hope) to be relegated to action shots and when I need to be fast like birds in flight, wildlife and sports (grandkids) etc... I take the Pentax when I intend to go out and shoot photos. The others for a just in case opportunity.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote