Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:01 PM   #1

Default Lenses for Trip?

Should I limit my lens collection on a trip or just take everything?

Last summer I went on a trip and thought (when I left home) that I was going to be the wedding photographer, so I took everything, and even bought a new 360 flash along the way, so I would have a second Pentax flash to go with my two cameras. My niece got a pro and I went strictly as a guest, not even trying to be a second shooter (weddings and people photography are not my things).

Tomorrow I leave on another trip, this one east instead of north. I'm going to be doing all sight-seeing, visiting a number of national and state parks as I travel through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, to Tennessee and Kentucky as far as Mammoth Cave.

Last summer I used the K1 and FA 28-105 zoom lens for most of my pictures, switching occasionally to the DA15 and rarely to the DA300. I took the 3 amigos though I didn't use them all that much, the FA28-105 gave me good results for the most part. I also took, but didn't use, the K-S1.

I've been using the K-S1 a little more now since I have a new elbow issue (this one just ordinary "tennis elbow". So now I'm thinking in terms of what lenses do I take? I didn't use the DA16-50 at all last summer, but if I really do shoot more with the K-S1, it would be nice to have. And do I take the 12-24? It's pretty large and I'm not so sure I would use it that much - I'd be more likely to use the DA15.

As far as traveling/transporting, I'm not that limited in size/weight as I'll be driving and it's amazing how much stuff I can fit into my small travel trailer/Grand Cherokee rig, especially since I'm traveling solo. So I could do what I did last year, just take everything, but would just as soon limit my weight somewhat - I now have a solar panel I didn't have last summer to consider, which weighs more than the BBQ, extra chair and towels I'm leaving home this trip.

I'm also open for suggestions on where to visit as this trip is completely free-form - I have no obligations or schedule, other than I have to be back in California by the end of May. On the way back I would like to take a picture standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona, and I'm going to visit friends in Tucson this weekend, but otherwise, neither the route nor the stops are planned at this point.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:55 PM   #2

Have only been to Tucson once but would highly recommend Sabino Canyon-great photo ops. Mt Lemmon is supposed to be great also. I have been to Karchner a few years ago-was not impressed but I am not into caves or bats. As far as equipment you don't have to ask-your work is exceptional and a pleasure to view. Have
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:16 PM   #3

Well, I talked myself into bringing just about everything, can't resist. And I've made my first change, rather than camping in Quartzsite tomorrow, I'm going to go to Yuma and will overnight with a friend who has an extra set of full hookups I can use. Guess I won't have to do without the microwave or the Keurig, even though I bought some Starbucks Via coffee just for such times.

I'll post photos if I manage to take anything interesting.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:31 AM   #4

Dateland, AZ is about halfway between Yuma & Maricopa-has diesel-gas-food. A good rest stop
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Well, I talked myself into bringing just about everything, can't resist.
You beat me to it. The one lens I ever miss is the one I didn't bring. And as you have a home on wheels you don't have to be picky about an extra kilogram. Looking forwards to your pictures!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:27 AM   #6

Thanks, Kjell. I haven't taken anything much, only a couple of pictures of the campground I stayed at the first night, the second night I stayed with a friend and we were so busy talking that I didn't get a chance. Today I'm heading over to look at some saguaro cactus, so hopefully I'll take something that's worth posting. We'll see.

I'm staying at a very nice campground. It isn't exactly what I used to think of when I heard the word "campground" though. But then, my travel trailer isn't exactly what I used to use for camping, either! Full hookups, large spaces and good internet - what else does a girl need?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:07 AM   #7

hi all,
long time no visit. I have not been taking many pic's of late, still working traveling light. But that is about to change. Still got all my Pentax gear, incl some recent Ltd lens purchases. But, just received my new Fuji X100F, no yelling at me! it will be my carry around. So for the same reason I got the Fuji, I would recommend a 21 or 35 ltd or similar. so you can just put it on the camera and shoot.
Good luck with the decision and holiday.
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:20 PM   #8

I haven't been around all that much either, life somehow gets in the way of things at times, and I haven't been spending enough time on photography. I do have a number of questions, problems and another upcoming trip with some unique challenges coming up, but that's for a different thread.

I ended up not using the KS1 at all (more on that in a different thread) and only occasionally switched to a different lens than the 28-105. The K1 does a nice job in low light and so the lens worked well, even though it's slow. Also, the anti-shake in the K1 is better than any previous Pentax camera I've had - I could get reasonable results at shutter speeds that normally are beyond my capability without a tripod or other support.

I knew that Zenfolio was adding capabilities and aiming more for the pro market. However, since I'm not a pro and am not interested in getting clients to buy prints from me, I didn't pay much attention. However, I have now figured out that their servers no longer keep exif info, at least for my account level. That is a huge issue for me, one of the reasons I started using it to begin with was the fact it left the info embedded. But it appears to be gone from all of my albums. I think I'm going to start looking around for another photo hosting site, one that won't strip the exif info from the file. Wonder if there's anything like that around any more (I'm perfectly willing to pay a reasonable amount).