Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:53 AM   #1

Default Sabino Canyon, Tucson

Once again I'm having elbow problems but this time it's simply tennis elbow and will heal up on its own eventually. I decided to take the KS1 with me to Sabino Canyon, along with the 100-300 f4.7 and DA*16-50. I wasn't that crazy about the results, I kept hitting wrong buttons and moving things I didn't mean to move, plus I had trouble keeping the camera still, it is easier for me to keep a heavier camera steady for short periods of time.

Here are a couple of my better pictures from that day. It was a fun day, lots of things are in bloom.

The saguaro doesn't seem to mind the birds, though it does give it a pox-marked look.

Like the X lines.

Had to try taking a picture of a common Arizona bird, I think it's a cactus wren or something like that. Not the best picture in the world, it shows the limitation of the very light 100-300 f4.7 lens.

A prickly valentine:

There was water in the canyon, and I was happy I opted to take the tram up and back. The road crosses the stream several times and in places the water was over the road.

Yesterday I went to the Rincon district of Saguaro NP and took the K1. I was much happier with the results and will post a couple of those some other time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:49 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

That's a nice spot. I hiked Saguaro NP last October and visited both sides of the park as well as a visit to Sabino Canyon....and the tram ride.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:19 PM   #3

I only did the Rincon district, I was only in Tucson for 2 days/3 nights. I'm now at Karchner Caverns State Park in Benson. I really enjoyed the cavern, even though they don't allow photography. Tomorrow it's on to Alamogordo and Carlsbad Caverns.

Jehan - what's the long-term forecast for Kentucky/Tennessee? I'm attempting to head that way, but taking my time because the weather hasn't been the greatest recently. It would be nice to know if I'm crazy to be heading that direction in a week or so.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:39 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Harriet, Being spring time, it is likely to be a mix of nice days and some rain. But it should be nice--we're not known for extended periods of rain/overcast skies, perhaps like Seattle or Portland. Nothing that should stop your plans.

Where in the area are you planning on visiting? I recommend Great Smoky Mountain NP, but the west side (Townsend) since the east side is very crowded on account of Gatlinburg being a huge tourist town. The west side is quiet and you can have access to many nice drives and trails. Perhaps you can contact Mole (Marty)--he's in the eastern part of TN and from his postings, in a very scenic part of the state as well.

In KY, the south and south western parts of the state are very scenic. Everything from Mammoth Cave NP and the lake region of western KY are worth the trip. Sounds like you're having an enjoyable time. My next major trek is to Glacier NP in August...can't wait!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:11 AM   #5

I would definitely make it to the region in northeast Tennessee/western North Carolina at this time of year. Down here in the "Midlands" of South Carolina, elevation 292 feet, there has been a lot of activity and building going on.

Name:  Spring building project.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  180.1 KB
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Harriet, Being spring time, it is likely to be a mix of nice days and some rain. But it should be nice--we're not known for extended periods of rain/overcast skies, perhaps like Seattle or Portland. Nothing that should stop your plans.

Where in the area are you planning on visiting? I recommend Great Smoky Mountain NP, but the west side (Townsend) since the east side is very crowded on account of Gatlinburg being a huge tourist town. The west side is quiet and you can have access to many nice drives and trails. Perhaps you can contact Mole (Marty)--he's in the eastern part of TN and from his postings, in a very scenic part of the state as well.

In KY, the south and south western parts of the state are very scenic. Everything from Mammoth Cave NP and the lake region of western KY are worth the trip. Sounds like you're having an enjoyable time. My next major trek is to Glacier NP in August...can't wait!

Jehan
Have fun in Glacier, it's a great park!

I have no fixed plans still, other than to go to Ruidoso Downs for a couple of days and get my propane pressure regulator replaced, mine now leaks. After that I'll check the weather before heading east again.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:29 PM   #7

Remember, always welcome in NewBrunswick
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:01 AM   #8

I'd love to be heading to New Brunswick, Ira. However, I have to be back in L.A. the first of June, and then I'm supposed to be going to Jackson Hole in August, so this summer is taken up. And I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to get to Tennessee this trip - I was supposed to go to Carlsbad Caverns then head across Texas. However, I'm now waiting for a part in Ruidoso, somewhere I hadn't planned on visiting. On the other hand, it's a wonderful spot to be at, I'm enjoying my slow time here and seeing some of the sites.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:17 PM   #9

I've been there almost 20 years ago, hasn't changed, nice captures

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote